Wireless Xbox 360 Controller On A Mac.........

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Modacke, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Modacke macrumors member

Modacke

Ok so I have an Xbox 360 wireless controller and I wanted to know if it is possible to use it on a mac? I have the play and Charge cable, which is basically a cable that connects to my controller to my Xbox 360 via USB. Do u think if I use this cable plus some software, will I be able to play games such as Team Fortess 2 and COD 4. Also does it matter if I use Boot Camp or Just regular Mac?

Also what software can I use for this to work, so all buttons work...

****Update: Also the controller doesn't use bluetooth, IF the cable doesn't work I have to buy a wireless adapter.*****
    ****Second Update: Ok so I have to either buy a wired controller or buy a wireless adapter. What software can I use?*****

Thanks

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It should just connect wirelessly. Do they use Bluetooth? Just pair it through that.

I know that the Xbox 360 wireless controller does work wirelessly, I just don't know how.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i know the wired version works with osx

however, as far as cod4.......i have it on windows and it does NOT support gamepad support

I have no idea if the mac version does but id venture no

4. Modacke thread starter macrumors member

Modacke

Nope it doesn't use bluetooth..

5. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Ew, why would you want to play an FPS with a controller.... PC games let you play with a mouse and keyboard, the mouse gives you far better accuracy than a gamepad... This is why most games dont give you an option of controllers, especially when there is a console variant.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

because some, including myself, enjoy controllers and sitting back than hunched over a keyboard and mouse maybe? not to mention i have grown up playing games with a controller and a keyboard feels wrong imo

7. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

The wireless xbox 360 controller uses wireless for data. The USB cord in the play & charge kit only is used for power, the data is still only transmitted over wireless.

The xbox 360 controller does not use bluetooth. It uses a unique signal.

In order to use a wireless xbox controller on you mac, you need the microsoft wireless receiver, and the home made drivers (microsoft produces drivers for windows use, but not mac.)

I wired controller will work without the wireless receiver, you just need the mac drivers.

Here is the hardware you need for the wireless controller:

Wireless Receiver only:
    http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Wireless-Gaming-Receiver-Windows-Pc/dp/B000HZFCT2/ref=pd_bxgy_vg_text_b

Wireless Receiver bundled with a controller:
    http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbo...5T6A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1232798796&sr=8-2

Homemade mac drivers (for wired or wireless controllers):
    http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/Xbox360Controller/OsxDriver

8. Modacke thread starter macrumors member

Modacke

Thanks, a lot for the links and also explaining me what I can do. Is there any other software besides this one, so I have a choose?

9. endpool macrumors newbie

endpool

because it gives most people a bad neck nd upper back when hunched up over a mouse and keyboard.

10. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

The poor guy just wants to know how to get his Xbox 360 controller working on a Mac... Not why he shouldn't or where to buy controllers...

You can get info on how to get your controller to work here. Good luck and happy gaming.