Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nanc, Jul 11, 2005.

  1. nanc macrumors member

    Jul 8, 2005
    what do you guys use for a wireless internet connection with a mac mini? i was thinking about either buying a d-link dwl-g810+ or the air port card thing from apple which one wuold be better? i know the d-link is faster but i am very enw to macs.
  2. dsharits macrumors 68000


    Jun 19, 2004
    The People's Republic of America
    I think you would be happier with an AirPort Extreme card rather than a bridge. There aren't many routers that support 108 Mbps, and 54 Mbps is not all that slow. Plus the fact that wireless would be all internal, instead of having an extra box on your desk. Setting up a wireless network with AirPort is a breeze.

    Just my $.02.
  3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus


    Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    They aren't exactly the same thing.

    The DWL-G810 is a wireless bridge. It 'converts your Ethernet-enabled device into an 802.11g wireless device.' This is not normally used for computers, but rather printers, storage, etc. You plug your ethernet cable into it. It also requires a separate power adapter.

    The airport card installs inside the mini and allows it to connect to a wireless access point.

    There are usb devices that do this too, but they use a usb port.

    Get the Airport Extreme card

    PS. All 802.11g devices are generally the same speed. You won't get the full 108MB out of the dlink unless you get the correct router. Internet doesn't travel 54mb anyway.
  4. nanc thread starter macrumors member

    Jul 8, 2005
    hey thanks guys!! that was very helpful. anyone else got something to say?

Share This Page