Wirelessly accessing iTunes library on an external hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by akjorge, Dec 9, 2009.

1. akjorge macrumors newbie

Hello!

I've mroogled all over these forums looking for a solution to my question, but now I'm even more confused.

My music and video library, totaling about 1.5 TB, is stored on an external USB hard drive. When I want to listen to something, I copy it over to my MacBook Pro (15" late 2009, 500GB hard drive) using iTunes. My home stereo is connected to an AirPort Express for audio streaming.

I can't really afford a TimeCapsule or an AirPort Extreme Base Station, either of which would seem to offer the most elegant way to remotely access my media library over WiFi (true?). Yesterday I found a Belkin Wireless N+ router at Costco for $69 that includes a USB storage port, and am wondering if it would do the same job for a quarter of the cost. Here are my questions:

1) Could I access my media drive wirelessly from my MBP using the Belkin N+ router? Is there another (better?) solution that I am missing?

2) Can I use iTunes to manage my library on the external hard drive, while also maintaining a smaller collection of audio files locally on the MBP's hard drive?

I can't help thinking I'm not the only one in this situation! It seems Drobos and other RAID or NAS solutions are quite costly ... more so than an Airport Extreme.

Thanks!

2. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I went through the product reviews at the link provided and they were all over the place. I would look for something that has more consistent reviews.

Dale