Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Still new here but ran a search and didn't find anything after 2007. Anyways, currently I use time machine which does my backups when my hdd is connected via usb. I have a linksys router e3000 which suports usb. I am able to read the usb in the admin panel on the router but when I go to set up time machine it says no devices found. I also tried to set it up as time capsule but it doesn't find any. Any advice? Will Lion have better solutions?

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
afaik, gotta use a time capsule or an airport extreme with an external connected to it for wireless backups in OSX. I'm sure there are other solutions for wireless backup if you stray from time machine and use a different piece of software.

Did a little search and it turns out there are a few 3rd party NAS devices which support wireless backups through time machine, apparently you need to make sure it's an advertised feature for that device. The lacie 2big network 2 will work.

http://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...w.&fp=3c71323b6c922b30&ion=1&biw=1123&bih=768

Last edited:

Nors

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2009
I use a MyBook World Edition NAS, and it works perfectly. Finds, mount the drive, backup, unmounts the drive, all on it's own.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
NAS stands for network attached storage... it's basically storage (hard drive array) that is attached to your local area network. It's not a part of the router, but connects to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network-attached_storage

Yeah, that's what I thought. So Nors might be using an Airport Extreme, then? Because I think no matter what external HDD you're using, it has to be attached to an Airport Extreme to allow for wireless time machine backups. Maybe I'm wrong; this was just the way I understood it.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
Yeah, that's what I thought. So Nors might be using an Airport Extreme, then? Because I think no matter what external HDD you're using, it has to be attached to an Airport Extreme to allow for wireless time machine backups. Maybe I'm wrong; this was just the way I understood it.

If the NAS specifically says that it supports Time Machine, you don't need an airport extreme.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.