Wirelessly connect time capsule to 2012 airport extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Iphone4sinwhite, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Iphone4sinwhite macrumors 6502

I have a 2012 airport express that provides steady but weak signal throughout my house. If I connect a time capsule to my Mac (will be used for time machine), can this wirelessly "piggy-back" off the airport express and extend the range/strength of the wireless signal? Will the time capsule (802.11ac) speed be limited to that of the airport express (802.11n)?

On a side note, is the time capsule fairly drop/knock-over proof? I read it has self-parking hard drive heads. I lost a hide drive that was knocked over and I don't want that to happen with the relatively expensive time capsule.

2. eduardrw macrumors 6502

I suggest you use the new TC to replace the Airport Express as the main router!
    This will give you already much better WIFI range and signal strength than with the AE throughout your house.

I f you then want to extend your WIFI with the Airport Express you can do that, but remember the following:
    • Place the AE where it still gets a strong signal from the TC (extending weak signals leads to problems)
    • Extending WIFI effectivly reduces throughput for your WIFI.
    • It would be better to connect the AE via ethernet - WIFI throughput and stability is much better
    • AE is 100MB ethernet only - that limits anything connected to it.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You should put the TC in place of the Express. The TC is stronger, faster, and more powerful. That being said, the Express can still act as a wireless extension.

4. Iphone4sinwhite thread starter macrumors 6502

5. eduardrw macrumors 6502

Atermose - did you read my post before you posted?

You were repeating what I posted in the first sentence of my post. It is good posting etiquette reading the thread before posting.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I apologize. I opened the thread in Tapatalk before you posted. I then locked my phone for a while and wrote my reply. After I replied your post appeared (Tapatalk does not refresh when you reopen the app after going to the home screen). Sorry. Did not mean to be rude.

7. eduardrw macrumors 6502

No problem. Thought that it must have slipped through.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I now know to refresh Tapatalk if my phone has been locked for a while.