Wirelessly connecting iPad to VPN?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SebZen, May 12, 2010.

1. SebZen macrumors 6502

Is this possible to do? My workplace wireless is worthless. Either doesn't load pages or just unbearably slow.

I know it's somehow possible to use VPN to connect to your home network. But first, is it possible to do this over Wi-Fi? And second, can I do this on iPad?

Oh, and I guess most important :p Will it help with the speeds? Kind of odd now that I think about it. Since to connect to the VPN wirelessly I will still have to go through the workplace Wi-Fi. Hmm

Any help?

2. eMagine macrumors regular

eMagine

yep. i've been VPN'ing into my work network since the first day i got the iPad. it works the same way as the iphone.

Exchange/LDAP works beautifully on the iPad.

3. khanriazaoif macrumors member

Don't know how to do it but my little brother works at a call center and a couple of his friends did that to get around the restrictions against certain websites and got fired. From what I understand they caught on quick and were fired on the spot bc it's against policies at most major companies.

I do feel for you, fortunately where I work any website is accessible and unrestricted.

4. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I purchased iVPN directly from MacServe and installed on my iMac. I forwarded the VPN ports on my AirPort Extreme to connect to the iMac's internal IP address. iVPN is really an inexpensive piece of software that makes your computer a VPN endpoint without any additional software or hardware.

Using Wi-Fi and 3G, it works beautifully. Of course, your work has to have Wi-Fi and have the specific, non-adjustable ports open in order to connect home that way.

As with the previous poster, this is likely a violation of the Electronic Use Agreement that most companies make you sign when you begin employment, so proceed at your own risk.

5. AVonGauss macrumors regular

Yes, you can, but a question - if your work wireless is slow and having problems, won't a VPN using your work wireless also suffer the same problem since the VPN uses the base network for its transit?

6. SebZen thread starter macrumors 6502

Yar. What a huge "duh" moment, lol. Hmm, shucks

Apple, in the next rev please include a wireless adapter that can connect from up to 30 miles thanks!

7. OzExige macrumors 6502

OzExige

WOW - that'd be sumthin! - but what about all them wire coat-hangers out there,
    don't they also pick up all them radio wave thingys?

Seriously, that iVPN sounds like a great idea - gonna check it out.
    Isn't it amazing what you find on MacRumors without using Mroogle :)