Wirelessly printing from a PC?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aaquib, May 19, 2008.

1. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Before I begin, let me just tell you about my set up and how I would like to print.

Dad's Desktop PC - running XP pro, in basement, connected wired to the router, connected to printer via USB
    My Mac Mini - running Leopard, upstairs, connected wirelessly to the router

I wanted to know if I can print wirelessly from my Mac Mini to the printer in the basement connected to the Windows PC. My router does not have a USB option available, so I can't do it that way. It's a DI 524 router. Any way to do this?

Thanks
    Aaquib

2. MacNewbie03 macrumors regular

MacNewbie03

Yes, you can do this. Here is what I did to make this happen: First share out the printer in Windows. To do this go to Printer and Faxes, right click the printer, left click properties, click the sharing tab, then click Share this printer, then give it a name. Finally click OK.

Now on the Mac: go to System Preferences, Print & Fax, click the plus sign, then if its not already chosen click Windows, this will bring up a window with your Workgroup name, click that and it will show the Windows machines on your network, Double click your Dad's Computer this will prompt you for a username and password. Enter an Account that is on the Windows Machine. Then give the printer a name on your Mac, in the print using drop-down choose "Select a driver to use", then choose your printer or if its not listed pick one that is close to it.

That should do it :D

3. gibboIU macrumors member

So I actually have a similar question, but the reverse. My wife and I have our work laptops (both windows) and wanted to know if it is possible to print through our printer which is hooked up to our iMac?

So just an FYI, the mac is on its way and I have never used one before. Is this even possible without buying something like an airport express?

Thanks for helping out a complete newbie.

4. Soulwar macrumors newbie

Soulwar

Try Bonjour for Windows.

Make sure you setup printer sharing on Windows as mentioned. Also, you'll need to be logged in on your Mac. (I am using the same setup you'll have)
    Any router should work.

5. gibboIU macrumors member