Wirelessly Sharing a USB Printer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DanInTheRockies, Jun 17, 2009.

1. DanInTheRockies macrumors newbie

I have a USB printer (HP All In One) connected to my work laptop, in my office. My laptop is connected to my network via Wireless N (router & cable modem is across my house from my office). I would like to be able to print when my work laptop is not there (i.e. my family needs to print while I am away), without them having to bring their laptop or desktop into my office and connect to the printer.

I don't want to move the printer, because I scan receipts all the time and I don't want to have to run around the house to do that.

What would be the best way to make this printer (ideally scanning capability too, but not critical) available to the rest of my wireless network (PCs and MACs)? If it is less expensive to buy a wireless printer and recycle this one, that might be my best bet, but I thought I'd ask first...

Thank you.

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Check if a Wi-Fi USB dongle can make your USB printer "wireless", once your printer has an IP address the rest is just to update your HP software downloading from HP support website.

Other option is to connect the printer to your router, does it has an USB port?

3. Takahashi macrumors newbie

I concur. It is probably best to try this first. Check to see if there is a cheep wireless fix for your USB printer, or like McGiord said see if your router is compatible with that. I have no idea what router you have, so I really don't know what to say on that front. The answer is probably no, but do you have an ethernet jack on your printer? Most of the newer printers contain them. Either way, the next best fix if you cannot do any of the ones above without emptying your wallet would be to just recycle and get a new printer that is easy to fix up over the network. A lot of the new printers, usually in the mid range budget printers are starting to put in Wi-Fi connectivity right into the printer. My new Kodak printer works extremely well over the Airport Extreme or Netgear depending on the time of day. And hey if your printer is aging, maybe it is time for an upgrade, and if you have a sharp eye usually you can find places that will give you something for your old printer, maybe a few bucks.

4. DanInTheRockies thread starter macrumors newbie

Print Server

I found some print servers using Google after I posted the original message. It looks like around $80 will do the trick. I am going to live with my PC sharing the printer for a little while, and when I have $150 just go buy a new All In One that has the wireless built in.

Thanks for the responses, very much appreciated.