wirelssly "connected to internet" but cannot surf?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by burningbright, Aug 12, 2008.

1. burningbright macrumors regular

Hello, I've been having trouble accessing the internet wirelessly. I can turn airport express on and join a network so that it says 'connected' at full signal strength, but I cannot load any webpages. Is there something I am probably doing wrong? I'm using an early 2004 ibook G4 running Tiger. Thanks for any help!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Being connected to a WiFi access point does not, necessarily, mean that you are connected to the internet. Is the access point connected to the internet somehow? Is it handing out full DHCP details (IP, subnet mask, router address and DNS servers)? If not are you providing these correctly?

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Is this your own network?
    Do you mean the internal AirPort card in your computer or an actual AirPort Express Box that you can physically connect to a wired network and broadcast a wireless signal or connect to another wireless network to expand its coverage?

TEG

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Is the AE connected to a modem? Or does it extend the signal of the primary router? Check the network option in system preferences, do you have all the DHCP details as mentioned above?

5. burningbright thread starter macrumors regular

Hi, thanks for the quick response. I have trouble connecting at cafes etc. which offer wireless internet. Other customers don't seem to have any problems, so I guess the network would be providing all the DHCP details(?), but neither they nor staff have been able to solve my problem. Macs are really rare where I am so have never had the chance to ask a mac owner when I'm having problems. I have never had trouble at my parents' home, which has a wireless network, and am unsure why there would be a difference. :confused:

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

If you have AppleCare then you can bring it in to the Apple Store and have them take a look at it.

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It sounds like you should be redirected to a special website to sign-in or pay for the service. But for some reason you aren't being redirected. I would suggest contacting the provider of the service or asking someone on a PC when they first connect, what the URL is they are connected to and using that address on your machine.

TEG

8. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

If he is using Safari, he may have "Block Pop-Ups" enabled. This would prevent him from seeing a screen to "sign-in or pay for the service" as you suggested, if the site wants to open a new window.

9. burningbright thread starter macrumors regular

Problem solved!

Thanks for all your suggestions! I followed Robbie Duncan and Snow Leopard 2008's advice and checked the network settings in system preferences next time I went to the cafe. It said that I was connected to the network but not to the internet as the computer hadn't received an IP address. I guessed the 'configure' option might be worth a punt so I clicked on that and it sorted out the problem! I think all it needed was to create a new 'location.' Perhaps I had done that at my parents' home way back in the mists of time and forgotten about it. :eek:

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

glad I could help! :cool: