Wireshark Install

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SteinMaster, Jan 6, 2010.

1. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

I am trying to install Wireshark. The directions say to open a Finder window and navigate to /usr/local/bin. I cannot find where this is in Finder. Can someone provide me a detailed path how I can find this folder to copy Wireshark files?

Thanks

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It's a hidden folder. You can either configure Finder to show hidden files and folders, or do a cmd+shift+G and enter the path from Finder. Though, if you're having this kind of trouble, Wireshark isn't likely an app you should be using. Just a word of caution is all.

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

I agree with what angelwatt said. Have you used Wireshark before?

4. TheAshMan macrumors regular

/usr/local/bin doesn't exist

Create it by doing the following:

When logged on as an Admin user, open Terminal and type:

sudo mkdir /usr/local/bin and press return

Then follow the WireShark install guide. If this part is confusing, I concur with the previous 2. The only thing to really watch out for is when you are sniffing packets to not leave it running for too long, captures can get large fast.

5. SteinMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

No I haven't. I was interested in learning network protocol and heard a lot about Wireshark. I am trying to learn on wife's Internet surfing (with her permission).

I installed it and it seems to be running properly. I am able to capture my own packets, but I cannot pick-up my wireless network. Can someone tell me what I need to do to monitor my wireless network? I would like to practice on my own wireless network. I have a Time Capsule. The attached pic shows what options Wireshark is giving me.

6. SteinMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

OK. I figured it out by selecting capture=>options=>link layer header type 802.11. My next problem is I cannot see any http traffic on my home network. I only see router broadcast information. Please help.