Wirless Router Purchase

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by stockcerts, Jan 21, 2008.

1. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I am considering buying a wireless router for my Touch. I have an IMac plugged into my cable modem. I have never owned a wireless router so I would be interested to know which ones are owned by my fellow Mac users and what they recommend. Thanks!

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Linksys WRT54G. That's my favorite.
    As an alternative to a wireless router. Depending on how big of place you have you could bounce a wirelss signal from your iMac's airport card to use your Touch in your bedroom (or room where iMac is located). Go to System Prefs>Sharing>Internet Sharing. Share Ethernet connection to Airport. You'll now find a wireless access point in your house.

3. ndheah macrumors regular

I have that router, love it, it's great. First thing to do though is upgrade your firmware. It's very simple with this router, and fast. Prior to updating my firmware I would get huge drops in performance randomly, after doing the update, works like a charm!

4. stockcerts thread starter macrumors 65816

One of my co-workers just told me the same thing. I didn't realize my IMac is capable of putting out a wireless connection. I live in an apartment, so I should be fine with the IMac solution. I'll try it tonight. Thanks!

BTW, I saw of the Linksys routers for sale on Ebay for cheap.

5. Quasiportnoy macrumors regular

You also might want to consider the WRT54GL. It's essentially the WRT54G, but it has open-source firmware and is designed to allow users to load custom firmware. It's about $12 than the standard WRT54G on Amazon (where I bought it just a few weeks ago), but this way you don't have to worry about firmware compatibility as you would with the standard WRT54G versions. (Not that the default firmware's bad, I just wanted more control, and with custom firmware you can do things like boost the signal.)

But second to WRT54GL, I'd recommend the WRT54G. ;)

6. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

I have the Linksys router the above our speaking of, it is excellent, no issues whatsoever.

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Really? Cause all 54G's I've used (5+) have the ability to update the firmware, with no particular trickery needed. There has to be more to the L than just this redundant feature.

8. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

How strange! I have the same router, too :)

Works very well for me and my touch (and a PC, two XP laptops and a mac mini too :D)

Rod.

9. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

The only issue I have ever had is that periodically, the touch wont connect, and I have to reboot the router.

10. rioting macrumors member

Woah. I have the same exact router. Must be very popular. Lol. Anyways, it works perfectly fine. I had a lot of problems with my first one because it was defective but the replacment they sent we works flawlessly. Though, with the price of wireless 'N' dropping, I would suggest you get one of those.

11. motomullet macrumors member

I have 2, a Buffalo 125 something and a Linksys wrt54gv8. Both have DD-WRT firmware. Stupid Linksys one forgets to turn the radio on when it first turns on, or after power failure. I like the buffalo one the best.

12. stockcerts thread starter macrumors 65816

I just did this process and created a new password protected network. My Touch sees the wifi network and I joined. The problem is my mail client and web client don't seem to be able to communicate with the network. Is their possibly another configuration choice that I am missing? I noticed when creating the network their were several channel choices to be made, could this be the problem? Thanks!

13. Quasiportnoy macrumors regular

If you turn off your firewall it will work. Turning off your firewall isn't a good idea by the way, so you should go into Preferences>Sharing and under the Services tab and check the box next to "Personal Web Sharing." This essentially pokes a hole in your firewall to allow you to share your internet. (If this doesn't work, specify a safe port for

I still had the problem with mail because I didn't specify the port number for the incoming or outgoing server (they should be either 80, 427, or 443).

14. sers macrumors regular

Does anyone know the range of the wi-fi signal the iMac can put out through the Airport card? I didn't know this was possible.

15. stockcerts thread starter macrumors 65816

I chose web sharing, but still no luck. Where do you specify specific ports? Thanks!

16. 619 macrumors member

Now how does airport work? I've tried using it but it just shows up on my iPod Touch as a signal, then when I click on it it lets me connect but when I go to safari it says cannot find server.

17. Dikkers macrumors member

Mint, didn't know about airport, now i can use internet on ipod at work. Awesome.

No problems with safari either...

18. Quasiportnoy macrumors regular

In the web preferences, when you set the router IP you can add a colon after, and then the port. So for web sharing if the router IP is 10.0.1.1, you should make it something like 10.0.1.1:80, 10.0.1.1:427, or 10.0.1.1:443.

Also try turning off your firewall before hand just to see if you can connect while it's off. Then, of course, turn it back on when you're done.

19. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

This is incorrect. Personal Web Sharing has nothing to do with sharing your internet connection. This is to host a web page from your Mac. What you need to turn on is Internet Sharing (under the Sharing preferences).

As for this problem try adding a password to your connection. I am trying to think if ports need to be opened but I am not sure yet.

20. stockcerts thread starter macrumors 65816

I did my get wifi to work from my IMac last night. It was so cool watching tv, surfing from my Touch, and answering a few e-mails. I noticed that when my IMac goes into sleep mode that the wifi connection isn't available.

Thanks everyone for your help!