Wisdom Teeth are coming out! Need Advice!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Sairapheena, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Sairapheena macrumors newbie

So on Monday I am having all four wisdom teeth removed. They are putting me right under for the whole thing. I'm not too worried about the anesthesia as I had it once before when I broke my arm but I'm more worried about everything after!! I've read scary stories about people throwing up a lot after, being really swollen bad and lots of pain. I've also read that a lot of people start crying when they wake up. Ugh! Well hopefully mine won't be too bad. If anyone has any advice of things to do to make it all easier I'd be happy to hear them! If I survive I'll let you know how it went!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

This is not a Wisdom Teeth forum, perhaps try WebMD.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I had my wisdom teeth out when I was 19. Unfortunately it did not go very well. I went in for the surgery and found out that I was allergic to whatever local they gave me. They found a work around (gas) and that went ok but when I really came to I had forgotten some stuff. To this day I don't recall the name of my childhood pet.

After I got home things were ok but I was real ill. I had a fever and eventually I was throwing up. I went to the ER because it was real bad and nearly uncontrollable. It turned out that I had a huge infection on the left side of my jaw. The infection spread overnight through my gum line on the bottom part of my jaw and I lost 4 molars. I was treated with major antibiotics and was in the hospital for 4 days. I was passed out for many of them on a morphine drip. My parents were worried, which eventually caused me to worry and start throwing up again. I ended up cracking a rib because of all of the throwing up.

When all was better I was fitted for a partial set of dentures. I use polydent to clean them so it's not so bad. It was the worst experience of my life and I still feel some pain as I lost some gum tissue that can never regenerate.

I hope your surgery goes better.

4. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

It's not fun, but you can get through it. The anesthesia isn't bad, I wouldn't worry about it.

Grin and bear it! (Pun intended)

5. Sairapheena thread starter macrumors newbie

Yah, I don't think it'll be too much fun but at least it only happens once!!

6. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Was it a cat?

I was shooting for a "Hey, it's all gonna be alright !" kind of vibe as opposed to your "Saw IX" theme, but to each their own.:D

7. Sairapheena thread starter macrumors newbie

I was shooting for a "Hey, it's all gonna be alright !" kind of vibe as opposed to your "Saw IX" theme, but to each their own.:D[/QUOTE]

Haha! Its fine! I'm more worried about the waking up and recovery than the actual anesthesia.

8. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Had mine out about 8 months ago. Waited long enough, they started hurting when i was 17 off and on, and then finally starting kicking my a$$ when i was 22 so i got them out.

My advice....

DO NOT DRINK SODA! I drank a soda the day after and it was the worst thing ever. I got dry socket and couldn't eat, or drink for days. If this happens call the office back and tell them, they will bring you in and put clove oil in the sockets. instant fix and you can eat again, YAY!! :D

Ice the living hell out of your mouth. Ice them until your head is blue. Yea its cold and sucks, but it will help the healing. Keeping the swelling down will make the healing time fly by.

Eat soft food for a day or two. Bread, soup, apple sauce, etc.

Ask for one of those curved syringes. After a few days use warm water to rinse out the incesions. It might hurt, but keep doing it. I had a chunk of food in one of them and as soon as i got it out it stopped hurting.

The they gave me vicodin, didn't touch the pain. The 800mg of ibuprofen worked very well. But i took so many that they started to ware off.

Good luck, healing is the worst part, but if you go easy the first few days, and dont drink soda and keep them clean, it shouldn't take too long.

9. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Jaysus, I came to in the surgery room all alone, no one in sight. I got up and went down the hall looking for someone, they caught me just before I escaped into public!

10. TSE macrumors 68030

I just had my wisdom teeth pulled out two weeks ago. Two were impacted, the other two were normal.

My advice:

Ice as soon as you get out of the hospital for atleast 2 hours. I didn't ice at all and my face was a serious balloon for 5 days.

11. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

This advice applies equally as well to vasectomies!:eek:

12. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

I had mine done and that same night I was out eating steak. All mine had to be drilled out also.

I didn't take any pain killers either. It really was not bad at all.

13. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

^^ I'm not the pain-killer type, but I've had occasions where I've considered taking an aspirin; Having my wisdom teeth out wasn't one of those times. As freaked out as I was about it ahead of time it really wasn't that bad afterwards. Sure, it hurt like the dickens for a while and my whole head ached and I couldn't chew, but it wasn't really that bad - I've had lesser injuries that hurt more.

The time I really reacted badly was when I had some minor surgery between my front teeth and my upper lip - it was local anesthetic, but I very nearly threw up after and it stung like a bugger for a few days. I felt horrible for a while after that.

You'll be ok. Really you will. It's not so bad. :)

14. Sairapheena thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice and encouragement! Its interesting to hear other people's stories so I have an idea of what it is like.

15. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Save some money on the tooth extraction.....buy a bottle of vodka and a pair of vise grip pliers, trust me--I'm not a doctor but I play one on TV.

16. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

17. Sairapheena thread starter macrumors newbie

Yikes! That would be scary! My teeth aren't even through the gums though - I'm having them cut out.

18. jasonkhc macrumors newbie

Just got all 4 of mine out today (5/14/2010) under local anesthesia!

I just had all 4 of my wisdom teeth extracted today (5/14/2010) under local anesthesia. The crappy part was having 9 Novocaine injections. 2 on each side of the wisdom teeth plus one more where I still had a little feeling. The injections were not bad at all. Much better than I had imagined. During the procedure you WILL feel pressure when the surgeon is digging out or splitting your wisdom teeth. Only pressure, no pain at all. If you are scared just ask for nitrous oxide or IV sedation. I didn't bother because I don't like being unconscious. Went to the local pharmacy to pick up some pills and prescription meds. Everybody was staring at my swollen face LOL. Its been about 3 hours since my extraction and the Novocaine is starting to wear off. I can feel my lips now, the bad part is the pain is setting in gradually. Not a horrible shooting stinging pain, but more of a dull throbbing pain. Still have the gauge in there to control the bleeding and took 3 Advils right after surgery. Still haven't taken the prescription meds because I have a high pain tolerance and don't feel necessary yet. Trust me, I had toothaches that were WAY WAY WAY worse than this. The back of my throat feels a little sore probably from all the work the surgeon had to do. I got to take 3 of the teeth home but the fourth one had to be split so couldn't take home. The procedure, for me, was quick only about 40mins or so (15 mins of it was waiting for the novocaine to set in). Don't worry about the shots, they felt like pricks, nothing to worry about. The bottom right side of my jaw is swollen cuz that was where the teeth was split. Overall I would give the pain level, right now, a 5 out of 10 (considering my high pain tolerance, experience differs from person to person). What was a little weird for me was to hear my teeth crack when split. I will update my healing progress in a couple of days. My suggestion for you is not to worry about it to much, the actual surgery is not bad at all, and the pain is tolerable however be prepared to ice your face A LOT and make sure you have A LOT of gauze. Wish anyone who is getting their wisdoms taken out the best of luck. No worries, its only teeth extraction, there are much worse things in life (pain wise) than this (ie- broken arm or appendicitis).

19. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

here is your best advice!

IMMEDIATELY start icing, this is most important in order to reduce swelling. CONTINUE icing constantly for a few days at all times.

Get bags of frozen peas, corn or rice. The reason you use this to ice your mouth rather than say ice is because it's much more will to comform to your face. Using two at at a time, one on either cheek, securely fasten with a tea towel. Make sure you have enough peas to continue swapping when they defrost, and keep refreezing them.

It's also not let's-be-a-dick-and-troll-some-people-while-wasting-valuable-keystrokes-time-and-interest forum. I'm pretty sure anything that a community member wishes to discuss with in the realm of the rules fits properly in CD.

Thanks for the advice, and I'm sure he's now even more thrilled for the operation:confused:

Moral of the story - bad **** can happen at ANY time, be thankful for what you have, because it could all change tomorrow. Hell, 100 people probably died across the world in freak accidents inn the timemin took me to type this.

20. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

My sister also had infection. There was a piece of bone inside her gum. Morphin and all that stuff.

Anyways, the only advice I can give is to go see a maxillodental surgeon and not a densist. These guys are much better.

21. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

That must cause some problems with those "security questions" on all those sites.