Wisdom Teeth Extraction

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by callmemike20, Jan 9, 2011.

1. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I had all 4 wisdom teeth extracted on Wednesday (Jan 5). Three were fully impacted and 1 was starting to come out. My mouth, bottom lip, and chin were numb for the first 24 hours, and I barely felt anything even after it wore off. The most pain was a slight discomfort from opening my mouth.

However, I am still eating a few select foods such as applesauce, pudding, ice cream, broth, etc. The reason for this is because I don't want to have something mess up the recovery process.

Does anyone know how long it typically takes till I will be able to eat regularly again (like I did the days prior to surgery). Also, do you know of any other foods I may be able to eat at this time? As I said, it has been about 5 days and I am in no pain. My stitches are still there, and I still can't open my mouth as much as before.

2. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I remember just taking it easy for a day or two, then the only thing was to progress as you felt, but to remember to clean out the site with the syringe.

5 days ago I think you are safe to progress to hardier food, but just do so in moderation.

Call the dentist, as they should easily be able to answer this for you.

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Took me about a week until I was able to eat normally. About 3 days went by before I really wasn't feeling too much pain.

Definitely keep up on cleaning, that's pretty much the most important thing I can stress.

Good luck and enjoy the ice cream :D.

4. callmemike20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I didn't get a syringe, but I have been rinsing with salt water as much as possible. Also, I just bought a baby toothbrush today to help clean the adjacent teeth because I kept bleeding whenever I tried to brush back there.

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Yeah for cleaning, since you weren't given a syringe, I would just recommend sticking with salt water rinse. I couldn't even muster up the courage to brush my teeth at all for a couple of days, so this was a lifesaver for me.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It was about 5-7 days for me. Or until the open sockets healed. I don't think everything was fully back to normal for about 2 weeks.

7. dolphindolphin macrumors regular

I got my top 2 wisdom teeth out on Tuesday! I'm actually able to eat semi-hard foods now like french fries, softer breads, and shrimp. Just give it a few days until you build up the courage to eat something harder. Good luck!

8. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

If they were impacted, it will take upwards of a month or two before you can go chomping down on chips. After about a week you can slowly add on foods. Try a sandwich on bread microwaved a bit to make it softer. Avoid foods that can be sharp like chips, nuts, etc. Also, after you finish eating, take a syringe and irrigate the would with saline water. If food gets stuck in the wound it can cause all sorts of issues. Still hold off on using straws or swishing vigorously

9. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

I got the two bottom ones taken out about 2-3 weeks ago. I was able to eat normally after day 3-4 but chewing on one side.

Do the salt water rinses, and take the antibiotics and you'll be ok.

10. callmemike20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I was told that the recovery was less than a week (a few days actually). I was unaware that I would not be able to eat normally for nearly a month!

I have been craving Carson's ribs, a steak from anywhere, and a Giordano's deep dish for nearly a week now! I can't take it.

11. jeffspc88mx macrumors newbie

I had all four out at once, not impacted though. I ate normally almost immediately, but my sockets didn't heal properly for a long time; up to a year. Probably because I wasn't flossing then :)

12. Creebe macrumors newbie

I had all four of mine removed at the same time, and it took me a week to recover. Since you were numbed for the first 24 hours, then I would figure that your gums are quite damaged at this point. So give it a week. You might heal faster though, it depends on the patient.

I think you should try congee, and tofu. The food you eat must be soft, and lukewarm/cold.