Wisdom teeth

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by vong, Dec 22, 2011.

1. vong, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011

vong macrumors 6502a

vong

I was wondering if I can get a few advice from people from MR regarding wisdom teeth recovery.

I got all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed on Monday. The following day (Tuesday) I had little pain and no swelling. I just have a few questions.

1) What is this white thing that I see in my extraction holes?

2) Why does my breathe smell so bad? Like the extraction holes smell really bad... (the bottom two)

3) Can I eat solid foods now? (Planning on going to eat Buffalo Wild Wings (boneless) with a few buddies w/ beer)

2. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

It could be the bone? I too remember seeing white things in the extraction holes when I had my wisdom teeth removed.

As long as it doesn't hurt, why not. Just remember to clean the extraction holes afterwards. You don't want to get an infection!

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Probably the bone that the teeth were rooted into

No idea

What does the doctor recommend about eating and drinking? I'd go with his recommendations over strangers on the internet.

4. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

The bad breath indicates a possible infection/abscess in the gum.
    Might be worth checking it out as a simple course of antibiotics should clear it up. (personal experience).
    Good luck

5. ender land macrumors 6502a

When I had mine out, I also had absolutely no pain/swelling/etc.

Regarding the smells, one thing the doc gave me was some sort of syringe type thing - to rinse out the now holes until they healed over nice. Take this for what it's worth (not much :p) but you might have food trapped in there? I'd give your doc a call.

He gets paid to do that stuff. We just like posting and reading on internet forums ;)

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Um, yeah. Did you call the tooth doctor also?

7. vong thread starter macrumors 6502a

vong

Yeah I did sorry. Turns out I was able to eat and that bad breathe is natural, just took some antibiotics and the rinsed a lot with my syringe.

8. JerZyT28 macrumors regular

It sucked when I had mine out, my stitches came out the next day so every time I took a breath, I felt air going into the holes and it hurt...best thing is to take the antibiotics...and yes, the bad breath is natural

9. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

When I had mine out years ago, there were no holes. Gums were stitched up and the sutures remained as they were cat-gut. The ends fell off over time.

Lotsa pain and swelling. I remember a manual dispenser of pain meds next to my bed. I was in the hospital for two days. (Yep! The extraction took place in a hospital.)

I was given mouthwash to use after a few days, and antibiotics were given before the extraction.

10. vong thread starter macrumors 6502a

vong

I guess I am one of the lucky ones lol. After the surgery I was doing things I normally do. No swelling or anything. Just had a few blood still from the surgery but it was fine. This is the 2nd week after surgery, when I rinse with the syringe, I see my stitches as if they are going to fall out lol.

Overall, I think getting my tonsils removed sucked way more than wisdom teeth IMO.

11. UlsterApple macrumors regular

Last time I had a tooth out they packed the hole with gauze full of antibiotic. They didn't tell me so it was a shock when this blood-coloured raisin-like thing fell out next day....:eek:

12. Jadeo macrumors newbie

argh

I'm getting my wisdom tooth removed next wednesday and I am so scared,it is still up in my gum growing sideways.. I've never had an operation or been sedated b4 ever!! I am more afraid of waking up afterwards and been sick and not knowing where I am or what I have said..Is there much pain afterwards and will I be able to go back to work on Thursday.. Can anyone plese asure me that things will be ok..lol I am actually so scared..:(

13. 7on macrumors 601

7on

It'll depend on a case by case basis, but the pain isn't horrible. There is pain, but they give you meds which help.

You'll have to talk to the doctor about Thursday (something you should have already planned for). I couldn't do anything for 2 days so I had to get mine done on a Friday afternoon. The biggest reason was that I was on hydrocodone and you definitely can not drive under that medication so no commute for me.

What I was scared the most about was the bill :(

14. MadMiller20 macrumors newbie

The pain is different for everyone. I wouldn't be scared though. Just follow the doctors orders and everything should go smoothly.

Bad breath often indicated dry sockets or infection though - I don't think it is terribly "normal" but, antibiotics should take care of any issues you may have. Just speak to the doctor is anything seems out of the ordinary!

15. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I had the exact same thought when I had my wisdom teeth out two years ago, so I called my doctor. He said it's actually just dead tissue (which is also the answer for the OP's second question).

Although, I realize it's a little late to be saying this, but maybe it will be helpful for the future reference.

16. LorenK macrumors 6502

Talk to your dentist

Did your dentist call you up to check on how you were doing? Mine does whenever he does something major and four wisdom teeth out at a time is major.

Bad breath is probably decomposing blood. Did your dentist provide an oral rinse? Use Listerine in any case, it will also kill any unwanted bacteria.

White spots. I agree bone is likely, though not sure why you should be able to see it, I would have expected a stitch to close up the hole, but your gums will eventually grow back over. Just be sure to rinse out your mouth after eating to make sure no food particles get caught in the pockets or your breath will be even worse.

When to eat is what you ask your dentist when you're in the chair, he's the expert.

As to others having it done, pain is a normal adjunct of having things yanked out of your body. Dentists can give prescriptions for really good drugs if you are concerned, but be wary if you have any allergies. I have a morphine allergy, so no heroin derivatives for me. And don't do alcohol with pain killers, besides causing greater impairment, they can also depress your autonomic functions, like you won't wake up again. Pain is better than death.

17. Jadeo macrumors newbie