Wisdom Teeth

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by silbeej, Mar 13, 2008.

1. silbeej macrumors 6502a

So i'm almost 20, and i only have my university insurance, which does not cover dental. Now my dentist has told me that i need my wisdom teeth out, but a few years won't hurt. I am trying to wait until i get a job with decent coverage. I can feel my top ones coming through. Now i get a little pain every now and then, but i've been told that wisdom teeth really don't hurt.(?) I had orthodontic work done in highschool, but my teeth shifted as soon as i got the braces off, so it's not due to the wisdom teeth coming in. Any suggestions on if i can wait two years until i get a job, or if this type of thing must be dealt with. If it ends up being painful for a little while, but not a problem, i'll deal.

Thanks

2. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

FYI- the pain depends on a lot of factors... the upper wisdom teeth don't hurt as badly as the bottom. If your teeth are impacted, that causes A LOT more discomfort... and finally, something that I had to experience, is a dry socket... the WORST WORST WORST pain i've ever experienced in my life. Worse than blue balls, worse than being punched in the stomach, combined!

I would recommend waiting until you get out of school, and before you start looking for a job.

3. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

My Dentist told me a few years ago all of mine would have to come out.
    why - just because they may cause trouble in the future.

Yesterday my bottom left wisdom tooth broke through - now I have all of my wisdom teeth in and they fit fine with no problems.

The American Dental Association estimates that 63% of wisdom tooth removals were unneccessary ( 2005 data).
    I would just wait.

Oh and they do hurt quite a bit coming in just like normal teeth.
    at least fot me they do.

4. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Nothing like using a water syringe to pump out half your dinner. Good times.

5. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

I had to have mine taken out because they were coming in early (16 years old) and I had braces. All of mine erupted and would have been fine if they weren't angled forward and pushing my other teeth out of alignment.

There was very little pain for me up until a week or so before they were to come out. I had them removed the day after thanksgiving (no leftovers for me :() by a mid-50's polish dentist who was yelling at his receptionist while take a call on his bluetooth headset. Nothing like seeing that guy coming at you with a 6" needle to go in your mouth. It took 10-15 minutes for all 4 to be taken out and my gums stitched up. I got a double prescription of vicodin for the pain, but I only used 4 off the nearly 30 I was given.

I think I got lucky on the pain side of things.

6. c073186 macrumors 6502a

I had mine out several years ago and I also got dry sockets (on both bottom sides). I was pretty wicked awful because they stuff these strips into the gaping holes in your mouth and it tastes horrid. But if they need to come out then they need to come out. It might be a week or two of discomfort but not the end of the world.

7. ghostee macrumors 6502

I'd listen to your dentist. I was told that mine didn't have to come out right away, and I've waited quite a long time since (too long really, probably 4 years) without having them removed. The pain was never unbareable, but they do hurt occaisonally, usually for days at a time, as they grow in more.

I actually had x-rays taken today, as they (all 4) are finally coming out next month, and two are slightly impacted, and two arn't. The surgeon said some minor impacting is typical, so apparently waiting didn't cause a problem for me. The whole job, including general anesthesia (yea, I'm a wuss when it comes to dental work), is like $1200'ish before insurance and will take 30-45 minutes.

Bottom line is to listen to your dentist, or get them out once they get too painful or annoying.

8. letsgorangers macrumors 6502

My bottom right one has started coming in and it hurts :mad: But pre-braces, I had 5 teeth pulled (yeah, I have no idea why) so I have lots of room.

9. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

If they're not impacted, or a burden on the rest of your teeth, they don't need to be removed, but you'll often be told that they should be removed anyways.

I didn't remove mine, at first, until one suddenly rotted, then chipped. Depending on their position, they can be hard to keep as healthy as the rest of your teeth.

No pain, but it's removal process was quite time consuming and interesting.