Wise not to buy neither iPod or the iBook now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by verces, Oct 19, 2004.

  1. verces macrumors member

    Oct 13, 2004
    New iPod = Bad Idea.

    Why? I was planning on buying the 40GB 4G, but with the rumours running rampant, I don't know what to do. I was planning on buying it the middle of November when I go back to Korea, to stop by Hong Kong and buy it. But, if the 60GB Color Screen iPod is not out by that stage, what DO I DO??? I mean, its not going to be out by that stage obviously. But I want to buy one so I can listen to it in Korea! and I can't just buy the 40GB one, because what then the 60GB Color screen one will probably come out, and I don't know if the darn Apple folk will be releasing a 40GB Color Screen....because even if they don't, they will some time, so my 40GB Greyscale will be an oldtimer already. Therefore, iPod right now for me is highly dilemmatic. (If there is such a word.)

    New iBook = Bad Idea.

    Why? I was planning on finally CROSSING THE ABYSS in my short but horrid and wasteful time of my life using Microsoft and its faeces, but even though the new iBook was just released now, I just cannot ignore the fact that Tiger will be making its appearance next year May or even earlier. That means, they would obviously have to upgrade their iBook. (which goes to show, the current iBooks are purely for Christmas Holiday season.) Which in turn means to buy an iBook now, would be highly unwise.

    Just one more thing. :p

    I just saw the LASER ENGRAVINGS that are offered on the Apple Store, (for the iPod), I remember it was $19 just 2 days or 3 days ago, and now all of a sudden its free. What on earth is up with that??? Simliar story just before the 4Gs were released. Does it mean something is coming very soon, or is it just the whole U2 hype thing that Apple's trying to sell?

    Apart from that, can someone please advise me on the iPod and the iBook situation....
  2. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

    Brother Michael

    Apr 14, 2004
    Eh, I don't follow iPods as I don't have one and though I want one, I don't need one right now.

    As for the iBook, Tiger will run on a current iBook. Tiger will run on my G3 iBook. But, if you want to run Core Image and Core Video it is to my understanding that you will want to get a Powerbook. Again I may be wrong.

    Either way, this isn't Microsoft. You don't need a new computer whenever a a new OS comes out.

  3. Abstract macrumors Penryn


    Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    ^What are you on about MS? XP works fine on my AMD 650MHz....

    Anyway, it would be a great time to buy an iBook. Personally, unless I knew the specific things that CoreImage would do (not a general description, but visual examples of how it would make OSX different between an iBook and PB user), I would just get the iBook. I'd get either a 12" iBook or a 15" PB (I need the widescreen for viewing documents).

    I'd get the iPod as well. Oh wait, I already did! Its not like they update those in a cycle or anything. And even if they did, it wouldn't be a big deal. Possibly a colour screen, but really, why would I even want one with a colour screen? It'll happen since the iPod OS has a built-in Picture viewer option located in it's menu (if you know how to view all the functions of the iPod OS), but really, I wouldn't care too much unless you needed to wait for a 60GB iPod. Otherwise, just get the current version.
  4. jimsowden macrumors 68000


    Sep 6, 2003
    Just buy now. Why are people scared of buying things? Nobody really gets burned.
  5. brap macrumors 68000

    May 10, 2004
    The new iBooks will kick ass. My rev. a G4 iBook was awesome, and that was only 800MHz. It's a steal, why wait another 5 or 6 months? Do you need it now, or what?

    As for the ipods... meh, get a refurb. Cheap, does the job, plus you'll already be behind the times. Welcome to our wonderful cyclical world...
  6. mms macrumors 6502a

    Oct 8, 2003
    The iBook... just updated, and as close to the 12" PowerBook as ever. And Tiger will run perfectly, especially given Apple's track record for having each new release of OS X run faster than the older. And an important thing about CoreImage is that you don't need to have a high-end video card to enjoy benefits; it scales to your GPU that you will see improvements no matter what you use. Besides, 64MB VRAM in the iBook will be just fine for most uses, and even, elementary Photoshop work.

    Apple has officially stated that they are not planning a 60GB iPod. A color screen, IMO, is unneeded and will most likely not be integrated, if at all, until a whole new generation. Besides, I don't see the need for one to have more than 40GB of music at a time; I do just fine with 4. However, remember that there were some audio defects in the 4G iPod (see ipodlounge) and I am not sure whether or not they were resolved, so look into that first.
  7. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000


    May 8, 2004
    I Live Where I Live
    i did. bought the eMac when it first came out. When it shipped i plugged it into the internet and apples home page stated that they had upgraded the eMacs. they were cheaper, faster, had a superdrive, and a whole bunch of other neat stuff.

    i felt sad :( but then again i just bought at a bad time.......
  8. Ugg macrumors 68000


    Apr 7, 2003
    It is always a bad idea to buy anything because 3-6 months or so down the road, Apple will revise it, update it, change the color, or whatever. If you always need to have the newest then you either need deeper pockets or......

    Engraving has been free for over a year at least if you are purchasing through the Apple US Store. Don't know where you saw the $19 thingie.

    Will your music fit on a 40 gig? If it won't and you absolutely cannot live without a color screen then hey, you'd better wait 'cuz you'll regret it later. But, if they don't come out with something new then you won't have an iPod in Korea will you????

    As far as the iBook is concerned, what do you NEED? Is the current offering enough? If it is then buy it, if not then once again, wait til the latest, greatest comes out so that you can make sure that for 3 to 6 months you have the absolute latest and greatest whether or not it is something you need.
  9. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502


    May 20, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    Just buy them.

    Both lines were recently updated, which means that your products won't get updated for awhile. By your mentality, you shouldn't even buy because there might be something new down the line.

    No matter when you buy, you end up with a high quality product.

Share This Page