Wish for HBONow

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Mrs.G, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Mrs.G macrumors newbie

Mrs.G

I love the fact HBO is finally coming to Apple TV and I am one of those in line to sign up in April.

But there is one thing not being discussed and I have not figured out a way around it - Pay Per View.

I think I used PPV once for a movie rental. But what I'm really interested in is boxing - especially the upcoming Mayweather Pacquia fight.

I'm going to assume that HBO Now is going to act like HBO Go and there will be no PPV access. I just wish it would be said either way. Any ideas or should I go find a sports bar to watch the fight?

2. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Great points and question.

You know, you _have_ to think that cable companies haven't overlooked any possible revenue stream. Right now, HBOGo is a supplement to HBO via cable, so I figure up to this point, they've simply assumed if you want a PPV boxing event, you've got the mechanism in place (barring the folks mooching HBO :D ).

Now, with, umm, NOW, they have to realize there's going to be a considerable number of HBO consumers who will +not+ have the option for PPV via a cable mechanism. I bet if it doesn't launch with some PPV options, it's coming in the very near future - though not sure if by May 2nd :)

The underlying tech seems pretty straight forward, I'm also thinking that NOW might have a live stream or two (unlike GO, but like ShowTimeAnytime).