Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pj rage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
Funny as it may sound, my number one request for a fix for the iphone would be to allow me to browse the app store while another app is downloading and installing. For 2.0, 2.0.1, and 2.0.2, any time I click "install" and it starts to download and install, if I go back to the app store, it just sits on "loading" and/or is unresponsive to clicks on "featured," "categories," "top 25," "search," or "updates" until the app is done installing. And since the installs take minutes, it's pretty annoying. In fact, most of the phone is sluggish/unresponsive/unusable during installs. What a PITA. It's good in some ways because it prevents me from downloading too much stuff because I just don't want to wait a few minutes per app when it's only to try an app that is probably a piece of crap. But I wish I didn't have to be limited.

I know this is probably a little thing to ask, especially for those of you having "real" problems, but my reception is fine, speed is great, gps works just fine, and I can deal with having to restart the phone every so often, so this is really at #1 for me. In a similar note, my #2 is to having apps stop moving when I update them. If I could get those 2 things, I would be one happy camper :D Hopefully it's not too much to ask :eek:

Anyone else know what I mean, or am I the lone idiot who wants to browse, download/install, continue browsing, download another and install, browse, install, etc until I have everything I want.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Since you can only download and install one app at a time what's the point? Also it would only make the phone take longer to install.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I just tried this out on my 3G and it worked fine, just went back into the app store while my app was downloading and browsed around...(I was on WiFi; may make a difference)

pj rage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
I just tried this out on my 3G and it worked fine, just went back into the app store while my app was downloading and browsed around...(I was on WiFi; may make a difference)
Wifi makes no difference for me. It may work for a few seconds while it downloads, but as soon as the progress bar is all the way across and it sits at "installing" you can't do anything in the store. You can't even exit by pressing the home button. Freezes it for a few seconds before you can even exit. The point would be to queue up all the downloads I want so I can set the phone down and let them install, instead of queue up one, do absolutely nothing while I wait a min or two for it to install, queue up the next, wait another min or two, etc. I want to just queue up a bunch and then set the phone down and not waste my time.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Wifi makes no difference for me. It may work for a few seconds while it downloads, but as soon as the progress bar is all the way across and it sits at "installing" you can't do anything in the store. You can't even exit by pressing the home button. Freezes it for a few seconds before you can even exit. The point would be to queue up all the downloads I want so I can set the phone down and let them install, instead of queue up one, do absolutely nothing while I wait a min or two for it to install, queue up the next, wait another min or two, etc. I want to just queue up a bunch and then set the phone down and not waste my time.

Brutal...but if you're really want to do mass apps d/ls like this....wouldn't it be easier just to do it on your computer? Just saying.

pj rage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
Brutal...but if you're really want to do mass apps d/ls like this....wouldn't it be easier just to do it on your computer? Just saying.
Yeah I thought about that. Shouldn't have to, but I guess I should. I just like browsing it on the phone before I go to bed.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Yeah I thought about that. Shouldn't have to, but I guess I should. I just like browsing it on the phone before I go to bed.

I'll give you that, and I was ready to be sympathetic, but come on, do you really need to dl 10 apps right before you go to bed? Have it as something to look forward to in the morning... (I mean, I thought you might be out of town with no computer, but you're in bed and can't walk across the room? )

pj rage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
I'll give you that, and I was ready to be sympathetic, but come on, do you really need to dl 10 apps right before you go to bed? Have it as something to look forward to in the morning... (I mean, I thought you might be out of town with no computer, but you're in bed and can't walk across the room? )
I usually head to bed and check out the newest apps. I want to download one, read the store while it's downloading for another, download that one, and while that one is downloading, check out the previous one, then head back to the store and download another. All seamlessly. I don't see how you can argue that it's OK to have the phone be freezing and sluggish while installing apps?

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I usually head to bed and check out the newest apps. I want to download one, read the store while it's downloading for another, download that one, and while that one is downloading, check out the previous one, then head back to the store and download another. All seamlessly. I don't see how you can argue that it's OK to have the phone be freezing and sluggish while installing apps?

I don't...but me and PNutts apparently aren't having any trouble doing it.

pj rage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
I don't...but me and PNutts apparently aren't having any trouble doing it.
The app store loads perfectly and you can browse around it and the different sections while an app is in the "installing" phase with the percentage bar all the way at 100%? I wonder what's wrong with my phone then? It's done this since I got it.

EDIT: Just tried another app to nail down exactly when it does it. It seems to freeze the store (touch screen completely non-responsive) for about 1 minute during the final part of the install. While it is downloading the app and during the beginning portions of the install, I can browse the store OK, but for about 45sec to 1 min it will freeze the app store. Try for yourself, download an app (just tried with motion x poker dice (free)) and just keep browsing the store for the next couple mins while it downloads and installs. Keep looking at the description for different apps. Eventually it will freeze completely so you can't do anything.

LiveForever

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
I agree.

Despite knowing its going to feeeze or crash when downloading an app I can't resist the temptation to do something else, usually browse the app stire again.

But even over wifi it crashes and even with the 2.02 update it did the same thing..

Just be patient I guess

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
could people post their phone model, gen, and firmware? May help narrow it down:
16 GB 3G black
browsing/installing simultaneously works over wifi, haven't tested 3G.

pj rage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
16gb 3G black.

Couldn't do anything in the store on 2.0 or 2.0.1 while downloading/installing, but with 2.0.2 I can browse until the last install step (right before it's completely finished) which will freeze the store for around 30 seconds if I'm in it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.