Wish I would have gone with AT&T

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kauai, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Kauai macrumors 6502a

I love my iPad to death, but the one thing I'm really regretting is going with Verizon. They didn't have any AT&T models in, so because I was too eager, I bit the bullet and just got the Verizon one.

Holy crap!

I'm sure it is area dependent, but I'm almost never really in remote areas - and in the Bay Area, I'm constantly getting five bars of full 3G service on my AT&T iPhone that streams video perfectly. Even HD. My iPad? Well, while I was getting three bars of AT&T 3G today on a relatively remote drive between San Jose and Pleasanton - I was getting only 2G (the infamous 'o') with my iPad. This has held steady - I'm almost always getting faster speeds and better coverage with my iPhone. While the video on my iPad is grainy and almost unwatchable, my iPhone usually serves up smooth (even 720p) on the go.

If I actually used the data more, this would be a deal breaker for me. I'd take the loss and look to sell it for an AT&T model. But as it is, I almost always use my iPad at home. Either way, the next time around, I'll either be getting a WiFi only model or definitely getting an AT&T model (or, hopefully, a dual-carrier model).

Just thought I'd share my experience to counter all the 'Why is AT&T so horrible?!?!' threads. Because, at least in some places, they beat Verizon by a mile in coverage and quality.

2. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

Yes, they do, including the Washington, D.C. area where I reside. AT&T 3G coverage is not only superior but much faster than Verizon's. That's why I'm so happy I went with the AT&T model iPad instead of listening to my father who kept pushing me to go with the Verizon model.

3. Smoothie macrumors 6502

I have a Verizon flavored iPad 2, and my experience is the same. 3G speeds vary from passable to awful in many locations in the SF Bay Area. I also used a MiFi 2200 on Verizon for two years, and had the same experience. It's very dependent on signal strength. I hoped the iPad would be better, but it's not. I got the 3G only for emergency backup since I'm almost always within WiFi range, so I can live with it. But if I were relying on 3G, I'd go with AT&T.

4. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

I thought that Verizon was amazing everywhere :/

Welcome back to AT&T wireless

5. Webb macrumors regular

Webb

If you have Sprint you just need to get Hot Spot for @29.00 a month and you would get "UNLIMITED" usage "NO CAPS" 4g speeds where available.

Much better than This:

250MB per month1 $14.99
    2GB per month1 $25.00
    Verizon 1GB1 $20.00
    3GB per month1 $35.00
    5GB per month1 $50.00
    10GB per month1 $80.00

3G iPad service is nothing but a ripoff. $15.00 for 250MB per month ? I spend that in 1 hour.

6. wpotere Guest

Get out of DC a little and it is hit and miss. In Silver Spring near Olney I get 1 bar and around Ft. Meade I get no bars.

Verizon has better coverage up here from what I have seen.

7. nizmoz macrumors 65816

AT&T has better data coverage than Verizon and speeds everywhere. Verizon can't touch the speeds at&t has till their 4G comes out. Reason why I got my AT&T ipad due to previous experiences with Verizon. I laugh at people when they keep saying Verizon has better coverage when that is a false statement because AT&T has better coverage. AT&T has coverage everywhere and Verizon doesn't while Verizon has better (3G coverage) that is all. AT&T has Edge to fall back on, and at least has a signal everywhere while Verizon doesn't at all.

8. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I jut got a mailer from Clear for their mobile hotspot service. Anyone have experience with them? Fast, any good?

9. Webb macrumors regular

Webb

Their unlimited is $45.00,They claim to be 4G as well.

10. dtlee1974 macrumors regular

I did the same thing and bought a Verizon model because that's all that was available. I had heard good things about Verizon but had never tried them before. I can comfortably say now that I will never buy another device on their network. This thing is painfully slow compared to my original iPad on ATT. It might be different with 4g but Verizon's 3g network is total rubbish compared to ATT.