Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gameface

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2010
Boston, MA
^^^ Agreed on the pass through HDMI.

I've been following a lot of Philip Bloom's articles on DSLR video - and it seems that recording the HDMI output as 4:2:2 at high bitrate on an external device is also a 'strong want' for a lot of people (I'm not a pro myself, and I'm getting by OK with H264).

I do agree. But with all the upgrade that YOU NEED to shoot good HD effectively for certain situations, prices are quickly rising up to pro HD Cams. With the body and glass, and rail rigs and monitors, and future 422 direct transcoders (as I think you may need an external rig for this) and this and that the cost effectiveness starts to reduce.

Don't get me wrong... I LOVE what can be produced with a relatively cheap body and some good glass, but there is a time and place for everything. I feel that any dp who thinks the HDSLR is next coming of Christ is mistaken.

By the way... you can have my 7D when you pry it from my cold dead hands ;)

mahood

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2009
UK
A larger LCD screen with a touch interface would be nice (as long as it had a proximity sensor like the iPhone so your nose doesn't press buttons while you're looking through the view finder).

And here I thought I was the only one with a nose able to set ISO 1600 :)

Mark

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
If you buy that Fuji, you may find me following you everywhere just so I can see it in action. All that's left is the image quality to be astounding and I'll be ordering one of those as soon as possible. I've longed for a incredible Point n Shoot size camera for far too long, and the X100 looks to be amazing. And it's so damn sexy. I think the $1200 price tag is a little high (I expect to pay more, but not that much more) but I know I'll still shell it out when I can.

Funny, because image quality was on the bottom of my list of concerns. The sensor is bound to be a Sony, which would make it a newer version of the one found in my 12MP D300. I'll be shooting RAW, so it'll definitely look good.

My list of worries:

1. Autofocus. It's contrast AF rather than phase. I feel that I shouldn't be too concerned. I'm not looking or asking for DSLR type AF ability. I'm more worried about the ability to move the AF point around. It's easy on an Oly EP-2 and EPL-2, but harder on a Panny GF-2.

2. My D300 is set up so that AF-ON is solely responsible for AF, AE-L is the only way to lock exposure, and the Shutter button only acts totale the photo.
With the X100, I doubt I'll be able to decouple all 3 functions so that they're independent. :eek:

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
When did this become 'wish list for Fuji and Nikon?' :confused:
:D

(And the sensor in the X100 is bound to be a Fuji. That's the whole point!)

Just as Justin Beiber can infect every corner of the internet world, the Fuji X100 can join in on camera discussions :)

I don't know if it's prime-time for Canon to move the DSLR in new, slightly radical directions (mirrorless, etc). There are far too many entry level photogs that are creeping in on the Rebel ecosystem to suddenly throw a wrench into it and offer a new design and new set of lenses. Canon has more than enough lenses to work with and update, and with quite a few desperately needing an update I don't want them wasting time on pancakes.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Oh, and what would I like to see? Enough of this crappy AF on anything but 1 Series. Nikon is ruling Canon on AF. My 5DII suits my needs, but I'd love to have gotten the 7D AF system in it.

The lack of an upgrade in the AF system between the 5D and 5DII is pretty much why I didn't buy one, and ended up (later) getting a 7D.

As a crop-body I'm pretty happy with my 7D. It does everything I want and does it pretty well. Built-in GPS would be nice, but not really essential.

I'd like to have GPS (assuming that it isn't a battery-eater) as I think that it is an element of being "future-proof" to some degree even if I'm not extensively using that specific feature today.

I'd like a lower-price full-frame body.

Its probably as realistic to instead "settle" for my salary doubling. :D

Auto focus points on the rule of third lines rather than all bunched around the centre would be great.

LOL... seems so obvious doesn't it? I could probably live with just 5 focus points if they were configured this way (one at each intersection of thirds and one in the center).

I think that there's some already that are pretty much "close enough" to thirds lines - - if so and as such, programming in different set of prioritized focus points does appear to be something that should be a straightforward firmware revision (another default type of setting).

I wish they would bring back focus point selection based on where your eye is looking in the viewfinder as well. They had this 15 years ago in their film cameras.

Had this on my Elan IIe ... enjoyed its utility, although it wasn't particularly fast or reliable while wearing (perscription) sunglasses.

A larger LCD screen with a touch interface would be nice...

My personal use case prefers buttons (even without UI issues, as was already mentioned by rebby), because one of my investments in the 7D is for an underwater housing system. UW housings classically have a plethora of spring-loaded controls on it to be able to actuate (most of) the camera's various control buttons, and with these currently being dedicated buttons, they don't obscure the LCD display. I'm not sure how any UW housing designer would be able to reconcile this if the LCD were to pull double-duty as both controls + display.

Finally, I'd like to see cameras like the 7D and 5D that are within my budget using SD flash instead of CF. CF is just archaic and support for it in consumer devices is non existent, requiring an additional reader/dongle.

Doing just a quick, not thorough, search in Amazon shows me the most expensive SD Card works at 22MB/s, whereas the fastest CF Card works at 90MB/s. Pro-level cameras wont' see SD as the main storage anytime soon. When I'm pushing 25-30MB RAW files in my 5DII I want to have a large buffer that empties quick, CF can handle that, SD can't...

I'd rather stay with CF too ... particularly since I now have built up 150+GB worth of reasonably fast cards that wouldn't be cheap to replace.

For those that don't have such a preexisting investment, there's already the work-around of buying a SD-CF adaptor for $20, and using SD cards. However, at the same speed rating, SD cards are more expensive than CF ... for the speed ratings for where SD cards exist. For maximum performance I/O rates, CF media is still King of the Hill by a wide margin.

FWIW, in this general area, what I'd like to see is a 7D (or equivalent) which is able to take a full rez still photo during a 1080p HD video ... no pause/gap. Similarly, a lot better/faster AF while in video mode, and some other elements along those lines. I do recognize that a dSLR is intended to be a still camera first, but I think that there's nevertheless a lot of video 'features' that already exist in low end P&S cameras that create an inequity...I shouldn't have to swap out a 7D for a piddly $99 A590 to get better quality (if non-HD) video.

First and foremost, I'd like to see Canon go mirrorless.

I'm happy with the 5D / 7D camera size for 'semi-pro' type use, but I'd definitely like to see the 550/600D range of cameras shrink, and I'd like to see the mirror disappear in the process. The mirror-less range would need it's own range of lenses of course - with primes amongst them.

I'm not sure if I'm thinking in the same direction or not: I'd like to see a dSLR version of the 1995 vintage EOS-1N RS (and no requirement for new lenses).

The 1N RS had a fixed pellicle mirror which did hurt low-light performance by ~2/3rds of a stop, but allowed for an increase in maximum frames/second...and in a dSLR would probably seal off the sensor, making it less vulnerable to dust & cleaning issues. We've had huge gains in effective ISO performance, so to trade-off some of this into other performance areas doesn't really seem like it would be a huge sacrifice, particularly since the 1995 technology's 2/3rds of a stop worth of a loss can probably be improved by today to at least no more than a 1/2 stop. Thus, the current performance at 6400 ISO would drop to a "mere" ISO 4800, etc.

-hh

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
The 1N RS had a fixed pellicle mirror which did hurt low-light performance by ~2/3rds of a stop, but allowed for an increase in maximum frames/second...and in a dSLR would probably seal off the sensor, making it less vulnerable to dust & cleaning issues. We've had huge gains in effective ISO performance, so to trade-off some of this into other performance areas doesn't really seem like it would be a huge sacrifice, particularly since the 1995 technology's 2/3rds of a stop worth of a loss can probably be improved by today to at least no more than a 1/2 stop. Thus, the current performance at 6400 ISO would drop to a "mere" ISO 4800, etc.

Sony will happily sell you one today. It only loses 1/3 of the light going to the sensor...

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
I'm not sure if I'm thinking in the same direction or not: I'd like to see a dSLR version of the 1995 vintage EOS-1N RS (and no requirement for new lenses).

The 1N RS had a fixed pellicle mirror which did hurt low-light performance by ~2/3rds of a stop, but allowed for an increase in maximum frames/second...

No thanks. More frames per second is about the last thing on a camera that interests me.

I really think the whole mirror box is an evolutionary dead end - and the sooner we get good enough EVF technology to completely loose it, the better.

No - I'd like to see micro 4/3rds style EOS cameras with a much shorter lens to sensor distance and electronic view finder.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Seems it might actually have been called the EOS 1n-RT? Anyways it could do 10fps. Which in all honesty doesn't sound that impressive. The 7D can do 8fps and is not a 1-series camera. The 1D Mark IV can do the same 10 fps without the loss of light of the semi-translucent mirror.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
The 1N RS had a fixed pellicle mirror which did hurt low-light performance by ~2/3rds of a stop, but allowed for an increase in maximum frames/second...and in a dSLR would probably seal off the sensor, making it less vulnerable to dust & cleaning issues.

I think one of the common issues with the RS was that the pellicle mirror got dirty, and was very difficult to clean, owing to its very fragile nature.

Ruahrc

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
No wants autofocus for video? That's the one thing i wish my 5D MK2 had...

rebby

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2008
MN
No wants autofocus for video? That's the one thing i wish my 5D MK2 had...

If they do add that it's gotta work far better than what I've seen from Nikon. Continuous autofocus is only useful if it works correctly.

GT41

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Ontario, Canada
As a crop-body I'm pretty happy with my 7D. It does everything I want and does it pretty well. Built-in GPS would be nice, but not really essential.

I'd like a lower-price full-frame body. If they could keep the 5DII sensor in production when they introduce the 5DIII and stick it in a lower-featured body for £1200 I'd be happy.

Oh and some cheaper, fast EF-s primes (like the cheap Nikon 35mm f/1.8 DX lens). I love my 35mm f/1.4 L but it seems ridiculous that it's that or the non-USM 35mm f/2 if you want a more-or-less normal lens on a crop body.

28mm f/1.8 is a nice possibility though a little shorter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.