Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moonman239

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
iOS9 isn't even out, and I already have some idea of what I'd like to see in a future update:

-Ability to add location of a parking lot to a Calendar event. I have an event set up for my Sunday meetings, and the location is in the event. However, due to an increase in the size of my congregation, I will likely have to park elsewhere. There's another church building, at which I parked last week. I'd like to program its address into the event and have Calendar factor in the time it takes to drive to that building and to walk to my building into the total travel time.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
I think that they might go the direction of watchOS to be honest. Things like glances, custom watch faces, and Force Touch, (the latter said to be coming to iOS devices) really helped the :apple:Watch become productive. So maybe something similar with the next version of iOS.
I also see the iPhone OS and the iPad OS becoming separate. Take the home screen for example. I don't mind the home screen staying the same on the iPhone, although they could add on/off toggles and commands like place phone call or text this person as well as app icons. And maybe have the ability to replace the top row of icons with a bunch of widgets that you can flick through. But on the iPad, I can really see the app icons and folders shrinking down to a small area, notifications on another, toggles on another, proactive search menu on another, and maybe fill the remaining space (if any) with widgets. Just to take advantage of the extra size.
Also another thing that I would like to see is the ability for third parties to extend stock apps. For instance, one can get a Google extension pack from the App Store, and they would have the ability to access Google Hangouts from the Messages app, have Google Maps features on the stock maps app, a Google Photos from the photos app, etc. The reason I want to see this is because I want one place for all my messages, and because it will be useful for a lot of people.
Next, I would like :apple: to buy Hound to replace Siri. Hound looks really impressive, and by the time the next iOS comes out, Hound will have developed. And for it to work seamlessly with the device is something I've longed for.
Finally, I just want iOS and OS X to be one. Obviously I want them both to be suited to their individual methods of input, but maybe give iOS more OS X features, and visa versa.
Sorry for the long winded explanation, but I just wanted to share my thoughts about the future of iOS.

LewisChapman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2015
  • WiFi based profiles - as soon as I get home I don't want 3G cellular connections, I don't want a passcode lock and I want my phone on loud.
  • Do Not Disturb schedules that can be based on location - when I'm out and about regardless of time I want notifications. If I am at home in bed I don't. On weekends times should be different.
  • Control Center customisability + toggle for Power Saving mode.
  • Ridiculous 'Accessory may not be accepted' restrictions removed. I receive this message on a dock at home, I then re-dock and no issues - seems silly.
  • Message scheduling - I want a certain message sent at certain time/date, would be great for birthdays.
  • Handoff between iOS and OSX for iTunes/Apple Music.
  • Dark mode based on time.

Linuxpro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2015
Singapore
1. How about prompting the owner of a new device if he or she wants to be opted into iMessage, facetime, spotlight, and gamecenter. Honestly, I am colorblind. I owned my first iPhone for a year before I read about iMessage in the press. (iMessage is terribly unreliable.) All that time, when messages failed to get delivered, I thought I was getting crappy SMS service. I never clicked on the messaging icon on the iPad. I thought my SMS were being forwarded or something, so I never clicked on the icon.

2. Allow us to make icons invisible. Yes we can make facetime go away, and the camera on the ipad (like anyone seriously uses an iPad as a camera). We cannot make messaging go away on our iPad, or the watch app go away on the iPhone.

3. Exactly why do we want all our devices to ring when someone calls? Seriously? Prompt us for that one, and do not just opt us into it. When I discovered that nuscense, I had to opt back into facetime, disable it, then opt back out. Seriously, Apple, what were you thinking? This feature was just an "easter egg" right? You did not really expect anyone to use it, right?

I am a software developer by occupation. I have been in IT 19 years. If I came up with such dumb features, I would be out of work!

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
1. How about prompting the owner of a new device if he or she wants to be opted into iMessage, facetime, spotlight, and gamecenter. Honestly, I am colorblind. I owned my first iPhone for a year before I read about iMessage in the press. (iMessage is terribly unreliable.) All that time, when messages failed to get delivered, I thought I was getting crappy SMS service. I never clicked on the messaging icon on the iPad. I thought my SMS were being forwarded or something, so I never clicked on the icon.

2. Allow us to make icons invisible. Yes we can make facetime go away, and the camera on the ipad (like anyone seriously uses an iPad as a camera). We cannot make messaging go away on our iPad, or the watch app go away on the iPhone.

3. Exactly why do we want all our devices to ring when someone calls? Seriously? Prompt us for that one, and do not just opt us into it. When I discovered that nuscense, I had to opt back into facetime, disable it, then opt back out. Seriously, Apple, what were you thinking? This feature was just an "easter egg" right? You did not really expect anyone to use it, right?

I am a software developer by occupation. I have been in IT 19 years. If I came up with such dumb features, I would be out of work!
You really didn't know about such large features of updates or a new OS that you are getting? Usually the updates talk about these features and once one gets the update or a new phone with a new OS version they explore things to make sure various settings are as they want them, etc. I can sort of understand a typical user missing some of these things (despite the fact that even they should know better), but it's somewhat odd when it's someone who participates an such forums and has been in the industry even for a bit (where it's pretty much the default to explore a bit and make sure things are configured as desired).

Linuxpro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2015
Singapore
I bought the iPad to replace my broken Kindle. After i immigrated from California to Asia I needed a new phone. I replaced my Motorola flip with the iPhone. it is just a phone. Are thise boxes blue or green? Well now that you mention it, I can see the difference if I think about it and look really hard.

One in 12 men are partly colorblind. Nobody thought maybe not everyone can tell the bubbles apart?

I bought the macbook for my wife. I started on forums only since I discovered that OS-X is very problematic. The more I read, the more I am thankful that I do not use all that stuff. I do not need the problems.

Last edited:

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I see people all the time using their iPads as camera's - may look stupid but they do it.

Reactions: !!!

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Here are some of my wishes:

1. Trusted zones: one thing I like about my Note 4 is that as soon as it connects to the bluetooth in my car or wifi at home, it disables the passcode/fingerprint requirement. I would love to see something similar implemented in iOS.

2. More options in DND: I don't want to be disturbed between 11PM and 7AM on weekdays; but, on weekends, I don't want to be disturbed between 2AM and 11AM. Can I please have multiple schedules?

3. Ability to turn off/remove built-in apps: I do not use Compass or Stocks or Game Center or Newsstand or iBooks, etc. Can I please have the ability to either disable them or remove them completely?

4. Gestures: Gestures are good for iPads but they are good for iPhones as well. I would love to have the ability to say, do 2-finger swipe up to bring up the multi-tasking window rather than double-clicking the home button.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Allow fingerprint scanner on startup for everything. It's not extra secure to force me to put in my passwords the first time, is it?

I mean, if they have my fingerprint I'm likely in much bigger trouble than them opening my phone up.

Reactions: Prof.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
But this requires ISP support.

Yeah, but it always will require that.

Cellular calls over Wi-Fi requires the carrier can actually support that feature. The iPhone 6 can already do this, but its now up to the carriers to support it.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Yeah, but it always will require that.

Cellular calls over Wi-Fi requires the carrier can actually support that feature. The iPhone 6 can already do this, but its now up to the carriers to support it.

So apple pushes the hardware to a proper level. Then we will just only need to wait for complete support. :)

deadcantdance

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
Do Not Disturb schedules that can be based on location - when I'm out and about regardless of time I want notifications. If I am at home in bed I don't. On weekends times should be different.

This!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The ability to quit all apps at the same time in the multitasking view.
Could be interesting thing to hope for but given the design Apple went for with iOS it would be pretty much against their own design and desire to offer something like that.

!!!

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2013
I believe the iPhone 6 can already do this (WiFi Calling at least).
I know what phones can do that, I just said in addition to the suggestion for no cellular at home, this would serve as a fix for when you need to call someone.

Still100

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2011
Does anyone know if ios9 allows uploading documents (word, excel, text) through safari?

I know we finally have email attachments for documents in ios9. Which is good news.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
I would like to see iCloud-based notification sync. If I dismiss a notification on my iPad, I want it to go away on my phone too. I'd also like to be able to see my notifications across all my devices if I choose to. I'd also like a full-fledged Phone app for the iPad for FaceTime Audio and iPhone continuity calls, with the ability to listen to voicemails - I screen calls from numbers I don't recognize so not being able to listen to voicemails is like the one thing I need to make continuity useful for me. Oh, and notifications from the Music app like iTunes has for song changes.

Reactions: PowerBook-G5

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
I know what phones can do that, I just said in addition to the suggestion for no cellular at home, this would serve as a fix for when you need to call someone.

Oh, I understand. I thought you meant you wanted it in iOS.

bmehilos

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2007
Illinois
I'd like for there to be a little "test" button in the BlueTooth page of Settings that let's you ping your headphones when they are connected, just to ease that anxiety that for whatever reason they aren't going to play your music and you end up serenading the whole train car with Bootsy Collins and Funkadelic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.