Wish Macbook Pro would borrow Iphone features.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by d328jet, Jul 8, 2009.

1. d328jet macrumors newbie

Is anyone out there like me that wishes while on a Macbook Pro, if you hit double space, it automatically left a "period" at the end of your sentence and capitalized the first letter of the next word and sentence??? I keep expecting this to happen on my Macbook Pro because I text waaaay too much but what a great feature this would be. I mean if Apple isn't going to come out with a keyboard-less laptop (instead one big button surrounded by a circle wheel), the least they can do is give us the best shortcuts from all their technology in all their products!!!

2. cababah macrumors 68000

I know what you mean..I wish the iPhone has more OS X features though.

3. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

4. fireman13 macrumors 6502

I'm totally with you on this. That would be a great feature.

5. wbe858 macrumors member

I do that too especially when i havent typed anything on my computer in a couple days and im not really paying attention i think it would be a great feature. At least the double tap on the space bar one.

6. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Honestly, you are better off learning how to type properly. The best class I took in high school was typing... back then it involved paper and a stopwatch. I still do 60/wpm from copy when I need to, and I am way out of practice.

7. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

That'd be nice.:)

8. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I prefer less automatic stuff interfering with my typing. I can't stand when Word autocorrects something I've written and I have to specifically tell it to stop.

9. d328jet thread starter macrumors newbie

Is Apple listening?

APPLE!?!?! Are you hearing this??? Haha.

10. d328jet thread starter macrumors newbie

Totally agree, but I'm in such the habit of double spacing and getting a period and a capital letter that it's almost second nature now.

To Getz76: I pose a question to you involving correctly typing. 1. Double spacing after a period has fallen by the wayside in intellectual circles. It's now only one space after a period, but 2. What's the point of capitalizing if you've already used a period to indicate the conclusion to your sentence??? And you can't tell me it's because that's how you learned it in elementary school.

Glad everyone agrees. I wasn't sure someone else hadn't already posted this idea. I'm a first time long time, if anyone knows what that means.

(First time poster, long time reader).

11. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

A double space after a period is still standard for business documents. A single space is acceptable, and by the time I was in college it was widespread.

Regarding capitalization, the purpose is to provide structure. A combination of capitalization and punctuation break up sentences to aid reading. Combine those two conventions with breaks for paragraphs makes for better reading comprehension in theory. The theory is the same as the "dash" you find in phone numbers; there are seven 10 digits in the U.S. phone number, regardless of the dashes. However, remember a 10 digit number is hard. However, remembering 3 smaller numbers is not a stretch for the average person. The brain processes and remembers information in chunks. This was what was taught in Psychology 101 when I was in college.

12. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I wouldn't want to wear out my space bar.

I. Use. A. Lot. Of. Periods.

13. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Thank you. +1. The iPhone needs that type of convenience in typing because it's NOT using a full size real typewriter keyboard. If you're going to use a computer, learn how to type traditionally. Traditional typing hasn't changed at all since inception. The digital world has created too many shortcuts and making people lazy. Learn it rather than half-assing it.

14. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

I always double-space after a period. I had no idea that single-spacing is actually acceptable.

Then again, I learned how to type in 1989. :/

15. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

A lot of horrible stuff is now acceptable.

16. tahoeroscoe macrumors regular

tahoeroscoe

word

17. åidån Guest

New Zealand
    It's only one app, but there is an extension for Adium which utilizes the double space tap to get period.

18. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

i think people are getting too lazy when typing. i dont think that we should implement automatic features that make typing on the computer easier for people. Typing should remain typing with the proper keys for periods and commas and what not.

in the business world your going to need to know how to type traditionally and i don't think anytime soon businesses and stuff will be all lazy with their typing.

but no offense, i dont see how typing on a phone's qwerty and typing on your keyboard is the same. for your phone you use your thumbs and for your computer you use all your fingers. i cant see how the muscle memory would reflect off the phone to the computer.

19. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Although I think you are just being infinitely lazy about typing a "." You could get TypeIt4Me. It allows you to make quick macros that you could use to emulate the iPhone.

20. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I think this would be a superfluous "feature" that would make a lot of people very annoyed. There's no reason you can't hit the period key on a full-size keyboard.