Wish me luck

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by gooser, Dec 18, 2014.

1. gooser macrumors 6502

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

3. gooser thread starter macrumors 6502

please do. i should be able to catch him before he ships it out.

4. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

These are awesome little computers, and I'm referring more to the design than the hardware. I run OS 9 on my Cube, so I can't attest to its ability to run OS X well enough on the stock hardware. There are a few upgrades you can do to it to make it more OS X worthy, but there are a few caveats. If you upgrade the CPU using a Sonnet or Powerlogix upgrade, you'll most certainly want to install a base fan to ensure adequate heat dissipation. Be careful what you throw at it, though. I have a Cube with a 1.5 GHz CPU upgrade, and I added a Radeon 7500 video card which fried the VRM. There are lots of good online resources for information regarding the Cube. Check out cubeowner.com.

5. bse5150 macrumors 6502

bse5150

I've never understood the appeal of the Cube. Regardless, congrats on the acquisition.

6. gooser thread starter macrumors 6502

i'm the one who bought the thing and i'm not so sure i understand the appeal also. i've only seen one in person and it was on display at a comp usa store when they first came out. i kept going back to that corner of the store and spent an hour just staring at it. my girlfriend was with me and she remembers it also and that was 14 or 15 years ago. it should arrive in a few days and if i like it i may upgrade to a 22" studio display monitor. those $4,000 displays can be had for less than $150 now. maybe some soundsticks also.

7. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

The only Cube I ever saw was in the garbage box outside of school. Someone had stole it and then tossed it there. :eek: We took it inside to get washed and then someone sold it. :p This was probably right around the switch to Intel.

8. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

9. weckart macrumors 68040

Go for the 23" instead. The 22" is showing its age, is suckier to service and mine is already pinking at the edges. Look to pay $75 tops. My most expensive ACD was a 23" at £40 and that came with the full ADC to DVI adapter and cable kit. $150 is far too much.

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Uhm…Hackintosh a Mac? <confused> :confused:

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I think that he means to use the Cube's case and install a mATX Intel system in it.

12. gooser thread starter macrumors 6502

well my cube showed up today. dvd drive is quirky, doesn't exactly eject disc. you have to turn the thing on its side and pull the disc out. not exactly a big deal. the screen will flicker a little bit for a few seconds after first turning on. there are no cracks on either the cube itself or the monitor and it didn't get banged all to hell in shipping. very clean. no speakers but the seller didn't say it had them. here's one guy on e-bay that has some speakers for sale and he doesn't know what he has. are these cube speakers?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381006998240?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

13. catzilla macrumors 6502

catzilla

Those are the wrong speakers, the cube needs USB speakers.

14. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

15. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

16. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

WHAT?!?!?!

That's one lucky Cube. It gets to be reborn as a 100% function Intel computer.
    And look how CLEAN the conversion is, you can't even tell it wasn't shipped from the factory that way.

17. gooser thread starter macrumors 6502

i wondering now about the 20". it was made during the same time frame and the size just might be better suited for my desk.

18. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I do appreciate the work that they put into the conversion however for something to be truly a classic it needs to be original. That's like getting an old Chevy and putting in parts that it was never designed for rather than restoring it. That Chevy for instance is a shell of what it once was and that is the same with the Cube.

19. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

It isn't too difficult to remove the DVD drive, open the top cover, and clean the rubber roller and belt. I cleaned mine and it made a huge improvement. It doesn't eject as smoothly as you see in the Macworld debut video, but it ejects discs fully. MCE also sells a Superdrive upgrade, but it'll set you back about $100. Link: http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CUBEDVDR8DL&Category_Code=STORDVDRW&Product_Count=14

20. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

As long as it works and it does not work like the SuperDrive on my PowerBook before it died where it would launch disks flying way out of the computer onto the floor.

21. gooser thread starter macrumors 6502

i may give that cleaning thing a try. thanks. the mce thing? for some odd reason i seem to be running a little short on spending money right now.

----------

i've always been a little fond of flying saucers.

22. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I prefer hard drive platters as flying saucers...

What annoyed me is that it sent my Tiger disk flying and scratched it!

23. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

There's a reason why I made copies of both my Leopard and Tiger disks, and never touch the originals. I also keep copies of the images on my MBP hard drive so that if I damage my copy, I can make another without having to re-image the original.

The things cost me enough that I didn't want to take a chance with them!