Wish me luck!

theman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
I'm going in for my math midterm tomorrow, it's all about directional derivatives, gradients, level surfaces, minimums/maximums/saddle points -- FxxFyy-Fxy^2<0 (hey, I actually know that one!), double integrals, areas, volumes, triple integrals, areas/volumes of polar functions, and all that fun stuff. Hopefully I don't miss any! :)

Now if only I could get off of macrumors and start studying! I don't know how to do any of it yet! :D

I could just start paying attention in class, but that's no fun at all...

Peace.

theman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
Areas are the rectangular bits painted in front of the goals on a football pitch, and volumes are what DVDs come in?

I went to art college. ;)
hey, i didn't even think of either of those definitions! :p

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Math Rumors anyone?
Page 1 news story...
Apple Primed For Big Announcement?

Apple fans have been buzzing with speculation that a new Macintosh-only prime number will be announced by Steve Jobs at a press conference in Cupertino at noon today. Reports that Apple may release the prime number for Windows at a later date are unconfirmed at this time.​

theman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
Ok guys, here's an update. I'm not sure how it went... There were a couple of really hard questions... Stupid 3D surfaces and volumes. Hopefully I got at least 85% (which would most likely be an A...please)

have fun mathing

ZeratulsAvenger

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2005
My school is on a trimester/quarter system (depending on who you ask), so we have calculus split up into 3 classes, so I can't remember which one it is that you are doing; either way I know I hated triple integrals because they always gave us limits of integration that were functions of x or y or z, and then ask us to rearrange the integrals to get them in such and such order. Glad I am done with it. Tedious and so easy to mess something up.

Are you going to do differential equations? I found that much easier than any calculus class I took, so if you do, you have something to look forward to.

PS-Polar coordinates are still a mystery to me. Plenty of equations in one of my classes are easier to derive while using a polar coordinate system, but past the derivation it always seems like utter nonsense.

theman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
ok guys, I got my results yesterday.

I got an 88%, which is pretty good. the highest grade in the class was a 92%

I should have gotten a 93%, but I made 2 REALLY dumb mistakes.... oh well, I can't ALWAYS have the highest grade in the class...

a third of my class got below 50% though... :eek: i didn't think it was that hard...

And yeah, to the above poster, the 2 questions i screwed up were polar coodinates, and the triple integral thing where you have to draw 2 pictures and figure out the functions in terms of x,y,z for the boundaries... hard stuff.
Did you learn cylindrical and spherical coordinates? I find this very interesting... makes you think differently.

i am not taking diff eq next semester because i simply don't have time for it, but probably will take it next year.

peace.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Congratulations on your outstanding performance, theman, especially if you really weren't paying attention in class.

Obviously, youtheman!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.