Wish me luck!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by theman, Nov 5, 2007.

1. theman macrumors 6502a

I'm going in for my math midterm tomorrow, it's all about directional derivatives, gradients, level surfaces, minimums/maximums/saddle points -- FxxFyy-Fxy^2<0 (hey, I actually know that one!), double integrals, areas, volumes, triple integrals, areas/volumes of polar functions, and all that fun stuff. Hopefully I don't miss any! :)

Now if only I could get off of macrumors and start studying! I don't know how to do any of it yet! :D

I could just start paying attention in class, but that's no fun at all...

Peace.

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

That all means nothing to me. :p

But good luck for tomorrow – now get off of here and do some studying!

3. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

ahh, you do know what areas and volumes are. right? :eek:

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Areas are the rectangular bits painted in front of the goals on a football pitch, and volumes are what DVDs come in?

I went to art college. ;)

5. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Phew. At least you know those ones.

6. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

hey, i didn't even think of either of those definitions! :p

7. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

FxxFyy-Fxy^2<0 = Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Math is much more fun than MacRumors!

Of course, talking about math at MacRumors is more fun than either alone!!

9. tracetritt macrumors member

Math Rumors anyone?

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Page 1 news story...
    Apple Primed For Big Announcement?

Apple fans have been buzzing with speculation that a new Macintosh-only prime number will be announced by Steve Jobs at a press conference in Cupertino at noon today. Reports that Apple may release the prime number for Windows at a later date are unconfirmed at this time.​

11. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok guys, here's an update. I'm not sure how it went... There were a couple of really hard questions... Stupid 3D surfaces and volumes. Hopefully I got at least 85% (which would most likely be an A...please)

have fun mathing

12. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Volumes? I hope you remembered about those DVDs. ;)

Fingers crossed for a good result.

13. ZeratulsAvenger macrumors newbie

My school is on a trimester/quarter system (depending on who you ask), so we have calculus split up into 3 classes, so I can't remember which one it is that you are doing; either way I know I hated triple integrals because they always gave us limits of integration that were functions of x or y or z, and then ask us to rearrange the integrals to get them in such and such order. Glad I am done with it. Tedious and so easy to mess something up.

Are you going to do differential equations? I found that much easier than any calculus class I took, so if you do, you have something to look forward to.

PS-Polar coordinates are still a mystery to me. Plenty of equations in one of my classes are easier to derive while using a polar coordinate system, but past the derivation it always seems like utter nonsense.

14. Memeryle.12345 macrumors newbie

Just study and study until you worn-out. Anyway you will see what you did after you have passed.

15. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok guys, I got my results yesterday.

I got an 88%, which is pretty good. the highest grade in the class was a 92%

I should have gotten a 93%, but I made 2 REALLY dumb mistakes.... oh well, I can't ALWAYS have the highest grade in the class...

a third of my class got below 50% though... :eek: i didn't think it was that hard...

And yeah, to the above poster, the 2 questions i screwed up were polar coodinates, and the triple integral thing where you have to draw 2 pictures and figure out the functions in terms of x,y,z for the boundaries... hard stuff.
    Did you learn cylindrical and spherical coordinates? I find this very interesting... makes you think differently.

i am not taking diff eq next semester because i simply don't have time for it, but probably will take it next year.

peace.

16. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Congratulations on your outstanding performance, theman, especially if you really weren't paying attention in class.

Obviously, youtheman!