Wish there could be one ultimate OS...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by silbeej, Jan 14, 2009.

1. silbeej macrumors 6502a

So i'm a Mac and Windows user, and i'd have to say, that i'm a bit annoyed by both operating systems. As far as windows goes, it has games, compatibility, and business oriented motives, which is great. As OS X goes, it has drop deal simplicity, i love how it incorporates everything, like contacts with the iPhone, and how it doesn't crash as often. But then there are some things i don't like about OS X, like how when viewing photos, you have to select all the ones you want to open and can't just arrow through them all, how thumbnails aren't as simple as on windows, and little other things. I'm a big photographer and how windows imports photos and labels them as they go into folders is very easy. I will say that Microsoft did mess up with Vista really bad, but Apple is loosing my purchase in that the mac pro is a bit too much $$ for me, but i dislike all in one's to begin with, nothing against the iMac, so i'm waiting for Windows 7 to build my next PC. Basically this thread comes down to anyone who wants to share how to do things on a Mac or a PC that is similar to something on the other, and to talk about how people that love one are constantly hating on the other. Both have their faults and a true tech lover will recognize that. I have both a PC and a MBP, and i sync my iPhone with both, and i love the setup, but wished i could have one ultimate system :D:D

2. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

I'm using the Windows 7 public beta now on my iMac, and I have to say I'm impressed. They did steal thinks from OS X, sure, but the thing is that they stole the *right* things, and implemented them properly along with the rest of the Win 7 interface.

I use both OS's, personally I wouldn't make a choice like this until 10.6 comes out. I'm looking forward to OS 11 though.

3. silbeej thread starter macrumors 6502a

I forget how it was, but didn't Microsoft give a ton of code to Apple a while back, or maybe the other way around, which was the styling of the desktop and whatnot? I remember hearing about it, but forget which company did it and for what reason. I think it might have been that they couldn't implement the design into their current OS, and thus lent it to the competition, but I'm not 100% sure on this, may have been something i heard in the crosswind.

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i agree. i like some things from both OS's. i do sometimes wish that there was an OS that had the best of both.

5. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

I figured this line would suffice in this thread (and I've never seen said trilogy)...

One operating system to rule them all.

6. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I'm waiting for Snow Leopard. Whether Windows 7 is any good at all, I don't plan on finding out anytime soon..

I debated with myself whether to try the beta, and decided to temporarily forget how bad my experiences with Windows were so... I ended up going to the download site and waiting over an hour for the page to not load at all. The next day I tried it again but gave up after a half-hour. Why am I not surprised? :rolleyes: M$

7. silbeej thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think Microsoft was surprised with how many ppl actually wanted the beta, because there servers were overloaded, lol.

8. Queso macrumors G4

That was two decades ago, and resulted in Windows 1.0 :D

My guess is that the vast majority of them were Vista users.

9. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Why can't you thumb through your photos? You mean in a folder in the finder?

In Leopard you can use Quick Look and in Tiger I think you can use the inspector. Thinking about it you could even use expose.

One dominant OS would mean no competition and eventually the OS would become crap. Look at Windows. :D

10. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I stopped by a week after the server crash..

11. Frisco macrumors 68020

I like Windows Explorer much better than Finder. I agree that Windows handles thumbnails much better.

Also Windows have better contextual menus.

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Windows 95 and Vista: Why 2007 Won't Be Like 1995
    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM.Tech.Q1.07/EFDF04D6-8FE9-49E2-878C-B15FA27F1CCA.html

In an alternative universe maybe. Completely NOT TRUE in this world.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I like how it is now, with Windows XP and OSX. These are the only systems I need, no Vista hogging up resources and (possibly) no Win 7. Unless they do a stellar job I'll be with XP still.

An ultimate OS? Nah. Even the things each system does different has a benefit for me. The mouse tracking in OSX is much better for graphics, music editing etc, whereas the mouse tracking in XP is better for games and pixel art. Even with my on-the-fly DPI switching mouse I still can't get each OS to emulate the other in that area.
    And it's lots of minor things like that.

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The question can be forgiven given how much Vista resembles Windows 1.0. :D

Seriously, Win 7 looks great. But Snow Leopard looks very technically competent also. I think it will be an interesting fight when they are both on the market.

15. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Does anyone know if Windows 7 is the final name? Or is this simply like a code name?

16. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

I'm pretty sure I read that Ballmer said that's the name of the OS.

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think between the Zune, Vista, and Mojave, MS has learned to KISS with respect to names....

18. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

From wiki:
    "Originally codenamed "Blackcomb" after the Whistler-Blackcomb resort. Renamed to "Vienna" in January 2006 and "Windows 7" in 2007."

Suppose to be final name though, however
    perhaps TinyVista or Vista SP3 would be a more fitting name.

19. BlackSnow macrumors regular

BlackSnow

There can be only one!

But seriously, I like the competition, it's a good thing.

20. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

wow. i really wonder why the decided to stick with Windows 7 instead of another name?

i mean, are they really coping apple with OS X?

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

How is "Windows 7" copying "OS X"? Windows has had numerical version numbers continuously. It just stopped being called by them at the time of Windows 95 (which was still also referred to as version "4.x" of Windows, as you can see in various places in the OS). In the intervening time, while Microsoft developed an excellent technology in NT, it also created brand confusion, especially around 2000-2001, when Windows ME, Windows 2000, and Windows XP all came out in relatively rapid succession.

Why not return to simplicity? When have complicated names ever helped the Windows franchise? At the very best, XP succeeded because it (at least by the time of SP2) worked. The ridiculous and meaningless name certainly is not why it worked.

For OS X, the tradition of calling releases by their development code names appeals to the Mac community, and it works pretty well, although it is confusing outside of the Mac world (tech support people often don't understand what you mean when they ask you what OS and version you're using, and you say, "Tiger" or "Leopard" and newbies here not infrequently call their OS version by the wrong codename).

If Microsoft were to copy Apple, they would encourage and ultimately publicize discussion of their projects under codenames (which they have also essentially always had). I think that would be a bad move on their part, merely because not only is Microsoft thoroughly lacking in "cool," but they also cater to a large staid audience (corporate IT execs, the Education environment, etc) where "cool" is not particularly seen as appealing.

"Windows 7" is a perfectly sensible name to me. And more than anything, it conveys the perfect message for Microsoft right now. This name says, "This is where we get back on track." Which is exactly what essentially everyone who does not hate Microsoft wants from them right now.

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I agree with all of the above.
    Can't stand how OS X handles simple JPEGs. Photos in a folder are handled far better in Windows, even good old Windows XP.

23. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

OS X is already the ultimate OS for me nowadays, from the available OS. But there isn't and will never be a perfect OS. OS X is on the right way though.