wish they would come out with mac pro mini or something

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mikebuzzsaw, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Mikebuzzsaw macrumors 6502

I really want to use a large external monitor.... but the mac mini won't cut it when it comes to performance. iMac comes with a monitor so no. mac pro is overkill for what I need it for.

I wish apple would come out with something in between. Better yet a more afforadable version mac pro. My only options now is a used quad core mac pro or a new mbp.

/rant

2. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

But you can connect to a Mini an 24" LCD with a 1920x1200 resolution. I don't see any problems here...

3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Mac users have been looking for something between the Mini and the Pro for some time. There would seem to be a ready market for a small tower Mac. :apple:

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Until you try doing something more than just watching YouTube. The built-in video does kinda suck! Perhaps Apple should consider sticking a mobile gfx chip in there.

That said, the mini wasn't ever meant to be a main system, it's created for switcher to test out the mac platform...hence cheap entry price.

5. aibo macrumors 6502

I wish for something in between too... there wasn't so i just went full-out. Apple loves me.

6. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

the mini is actually a main system for people who don't do heavy video/photo work, gaming, etc. some people just want a basic mac.

7. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

Could always sell your monitor and get an iMac.

I agree - I think there would be a large market for a macpro mini - however I think it goes against Apples design principles as lots of wires need to be used!

You can tell Steve isn't a fan of the mini for this reason which I guess is why it is rarely updated.

8. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

I have my Mac mini connected to a 20" LCD with 1600x1200 resolution trough DVI and i am doing quite hevy stuff (illustrations) on it and graphically it doesnt slow down.

Today i just ordered 2x2 GB RAM sticks, because this is the only thing that i need more inside the Mini.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I wish people would stop making xMac threads. They won't do it because it would cannibalize iMac and Mac Pro sales. "No, it woul-" Shut up, yes it would. People would by the xMac instead of the iMac to get their own screen and the xMac instead of the Mac Pro because of "unnecessary" cost and power.

10. Mikebuzzsaw thread starter macrumors 6502

I created this thread more to find a solution to my problem. Should I just buy a used mac pro or something.

11. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

usb screens

Hey,

You can get a box which is connected through usb to your mac (mini). It doesn't support big screens (a max of 1440:1040 something), but you will be able to have 2 screens. That must increase your work space. You need to install displaylink for that. On their website you can find more information. But dual screen on the mac mini is definitely possible. Here is a link with compatible hardware (most run on the mac, maybe even all, but I'm not sure). http://www.displaylink.com/shop.html

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Refurb Mac Pros are $2000 at apple store (sometimes $1800).

If that is out of your price range, then get an iMac.

13. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Dude... What is it your looking for?

Do you need all the processing power of the MacPro minus the storage space and the huge memory capacity? or... don't you need all the slots? Call me curious... but you know, just because Apple provide the space and ports, it doesn't mean you have to use them all!

Anyway, what's wrong with the 24" iMac (1920 by 1200 px)?
    I'm sure the screen is big enough for most applications, you even have a choice of actual video chips.. plus the processing power is fairly decent and the price is great!! OK.. RAM is limited to about 4Gb according to Apple, but since it's Santa Rosa based, i'm sure you'll get it up to 8Gb without a hitch.

Oh I get it, you're a former PC user who like to tweak every little aspect... Right? Why not go for Hacintosh and roll you own? Jesus, there's just no satisfying some people... :rolleyes:

14. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

That is probably best. The first generation dual-core Mac Pros (with two CPUs) are now down around $1500 or less on eBay with good RAM and HDD capacities. You might find better deals on your local Craigslist or Classifieds, especially for single CPU models.

15. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Heartily 2nd this.

Apple refusal to make a Mac that i want to buy has kept me in PC land.

A pumped up iMac specced machine without a screen but with a PCI E card and 4 DIMM slots would be very, very desirable.

16. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

So? What if it does cannibalize imac sales? That just means sales will shift from one of Apple's computer to another. They are still selling their computers, and still making money. And since a lot of who didn't buy a mac because they didn't offer something like a Mac Pro Mini now did, Apple would sell even more Macs than they currently do.

After all, the iMac should be for people who want an all-in-one computer, not just for people who want a computer, period. Different people have different needs.

17. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You're right; that's how it should be... but Steve doesn't care about people's needs. Steve NEVER wanted the end-user to be able to upgrade the computer. That's why the original Macintosh was an all-in-one.

18. mwsh2000 macrumors newbie

I watched an HD episode of "The Office" that I downloaded for free from iTunes last night on my 2GHz C2D Mini (I wanted to check the quality of the HD). The mini performed without a hiccup. I'm sure that if I tried to run Logic Pro (with Amplitube which is a processor hog) on my Mini instead of my Macbook Pro, it would give the Mini some issues, but in all honesty the Mini's been a real workhorse for editing home movies in iMovie, converting home movies in VisualHub, and ripping DVD's in Handbrake. Cut it a little slack:).

19. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Yep, that is the sad reality.

Guys....

The original CRT iMac G3s were marketed as entry-level machines. Those more of less got replaced by eMacs, while Apple marketed the new "iLamp" iMac G4 as their new mid-range machine. And the iMac's mid-range positioning has remained the same ever since.

As much as I would also like to see the Mac Mini die, putting the iMac back to the entry level, while a new mid-range Mac tower is offered, that is highly doubtful. Entry level PCs are well under $1,000 even with a monitor and entry-level sales would suffer tremendously if the iMac became the entry machine, especially at its current starting price.

It's truly a matter of dollars and cents, not necessarily Steve Jobs wanting to minimize "clutter" and cabling.

20. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

I just wish Apple would drop the price of the Mac Pro by $300 to $1999/$2499 so it would be the same price or cheaper then damn near every single and dual-CPU PowerMac G4 and PowerMac G5 ever released which would either end the debate right there.

21. Mikebuzzsaw thread starter macrumors 6502

I want an iMac without a monitor. I need the graphics card and I just want to use an external monitor so I can get a bigger one 24+ or two 20's. Mac Pro is too powerful and also cost way too much more than I want to spend.

22. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Boils it down to the basics of the debate.

Sensible, direct and to the point post.

Still, when has Apple been sensible eh? ;)

23. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Apple's a cannibalistic company, what's wrong with an xMac? :p

24. SimD macrumors regular

Buy a MBP and keep it in clamshell mode.. and hey, on the road? Unplug and carry! :eek:

25. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Slightly more costly than a Mini though eh ?

....a decent entry level mac is needed , end of story !.