Wish we could update to Beta 3.. Multitask!!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Pinger, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Pinger macrumors regular

Seeing the new iOS is just around the corner I wish they'd let us give it a try since it seems to be very stable, worse comes to worse we could revert back to the original OS.. I would love to be able to Multitask and print without need of any 3rd party apps..

2. Deamos macrumors member

From what I'm to understand, you can test out the update. Theres a method that is supposed to let you upgrade your current iOS to the beta w/o it checking to see if you are a developer. Look around in the forums.

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

IT's funny, if they would do that, them you will a bunch of post about the oposite "I wish they will test their firmware more before releasing it", people complaining about broken features, why this doesn't work with that, etc, etc.

There is a reason for the whole software development process, Alpha, betas, RCs, this is intended for "developers and manufactures" they need to guarantee that Apps, accessories, drivers and such are performing and working correctly. If they released "beta" to the general public (no matter how stable the core OS is), you will still experienced an incredible amount of issues (including the rick of severe hardware failure due to an buggy driver - very extreme and rare case, but possible).

Be patient, Multitasking will be here is just a few shots weeks, You can also Jailbreak and get it today (and much much better than stock multitasking :D:D)

4. heavensblade23 macrumors regular

Apple does have a strange definition of beta, though. The first couple of betas are actually more like alphas, then the next few are like actual betas, and then the last one or two are like release candidates. Makes me wonder what the internal development process is like.

5. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Unfortunately it's not quite as simple as "just revert back to the original OS". When you upgrade to the beta, your device backup is upgraded as well. If you revert to an older OS, it cannot use your backup anymore.

That means that if you revert, you have to reconfigure everything. Email settings, usernames and passwords, saved documents and even saved games are all gone. It's a royal pain.

6. r2fa3l macrumors regular

So people can complain.
    Its :apple:

But i can tell you
    4.2 beta 2 was not stable [Songs skipped, Missing Artwork,Rentals didn't expire]
    and beta 3 is not stable either.

It's meant for devs
    [though i'm sure they already have the
    goldmaster version, they just release these
    for small bugs that could happen in the GM]

7. admanimal macrumors 68040

No, that's not how the process works.

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

LOL, No we don't, we got the same Beta 3 as anyone else. :cool:

9. yegon macrumors 68020

Just dl the beta and option+update your ipad in iTunes. Theres no secret to it, Ive happily used all the betas without a developers account like many others. I used a mates ipad the other day that runs 3.X, I'd forgotten how irritating the lack of app switching was! I'm in the fortunate position that all the apps I use regularly run perfectly with beta 3. Actually, bar the Sky mobile tv app.

10. Pinger thread starter macrumors regular

Download the beta 3 from where?? I understand the risks of not all apps or features being perfect, I ran the RC versions of Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7.. Yea You don't have to bash me for being a windows user lol, I agree there's no comparing MS OSs and Apple's.. Apple has it's $@!+ together, we have like 2 desktops and 5 laptops here in my house so migrating over is happening slowly but surely, last three purchases has been a MacBook, iPhone and now this iPad. Love Apple's quality and lack of MS OSs needing Updates every other day..
    BUT I love multitasking, example: listening to Pandora, writing reports while being able to flip quickly to research info and photos all at the same time..

11. zamenhof macrumors newbie

12. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

The Beta isn't just there to test out the OS.

Developers need this time to make changes to their Apps. There is a pretty big difference between iOS 3.2 and iOS 4.2. Apps need to be tweaked to operate correctly. They may need even more work to support the new 4.2 features like Multitasking.

I know it's a pain to wait, but the extra time will give third party App developers time to get ready.

13. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

The multitasking with the betas has been quite good. And works hella good.

14. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Beta 3 ist working very good for me. It is stable enough but has of course some small issues.

15. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

If you cannot wait the 2 or 3 weeks until the general release, there are ways to update apparently.

But if you do, remember this:

The betas are not intended for end consumer use but instead they are intended for developers to discover faults with the new software build, be it within their apps or in the OS. And they often do, which is why there have been three betas for 4.2 already.

So you must weigh up the necessity of multi-tasking whilst considering that you do not know what features and apps you enjoy, and possibly rely on, may not work on the beta and that, once upgraded, you cannot easily undo this (as has been mentioned before).

I myself don't think it is worth the hassle.

16. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

Different folks.

I think all betas have been surprisingly good. An app here and there that won't respond well but nothing that I can't do without for a short while so for me it's was well worth it.

Though I'm accustomed to betas like many others but if some are expecting and wanting perfect than it's probably not for you.

17. kevingaffney macrumors 6502a

Of course anyone can get the beta now. Just don't whinge when you fin a bug. Just realize it is a beta for testing

18. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

What's funny is i actually downloaded beta 2 and it installed fine without issue. Then I went back to 3.2.2 to jailbreak and didn't like it. So i decided to go back to 4.2 beta 3 and now it won't register.

19. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Any word what day in "November" will the iOS upgrade happen finalllllllly?

20. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

Right before Thanksgiving. But that is a pure guess I haven't a clue :rolleyes: