Wishes on future changes to the rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bubbas, Nov 28, 2013.

1. bubbas macrumors newbie

Anyone have any wishes or suggestions on future changes to the rMBP?

2. raybies macrumors member

Image the same trackpad but with a dynamic luminous underlay.

- They could make the track pad have a dynamic LCD below to create things like a number pad.
    Right, Middle and Left clicks zones...

- Better and quieter cooling. I know it's supposed to be quiet, but it isn't.

- Brighter screen... I can't see didly if I go to the garden and the sun is out.

- Reduce screen bezel. It's good, specially on the bottom, but there's plenty o'space around the sides and top.

- Colors? Silver's OK, but a darker silver would be nice too.

- Improve fitting. The bottom of my MBPr when I left it with one hand (thumb on top, fingers on bottom) sticks to the battery then pops out again. Or when I lift it from my belly. Makes a sound similar to a trackpad click.

3. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

— Brightness back to 400 nits (like the previous MacBook Pro non-retina version)

— 13-inch should have as defaults the 2880 x 1800 "best for retina" resolution so it looks like 1400 x 900, and the 15-inch should have 3360 x 2100 "best for retina" so it looks like 1680 x 1050.

4. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Larger, cheaper SSD. 1+ TB without needing a bank loan.

5. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I hope you aren't expecting this to happen. The days of cheap and large storage drives are gone. SSDs have come a long way in the past five years, though.

----------

This. The 13" needs to have 1440x900 as standard.

----------

Other than needing a resolution bump, I really have no complaints with the 13" rMBP. Apple fixed everything in the 2nd-gen that I had an issue with. It's pretty close to being the perfect laptop now.

6. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

Black anodized.
    TouchID.
    3D Kinect-type iSight.

7. HurryKayne macrumors 6502a

Thunderbolt 3 at 50 Gbps
    Broadwell or SkyLake chip ( unsoldered on the Mobo )
    Unsoldered Ram
    I-GPU on par with 750m or better
    Less Glue everywhere
    Some Projector or Cam Gestures integration ala Leap Motion.

and yes :D i'll wait till 2015 if needed to have at least
    that kind of power for my money,
    today i took a good 650m refurbished and i'm ok with it.

8. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

This. Also everything else.

Wireless Thunderbolt would be nice. While at it, please also wireless Magsafe.

I'm not talking long-range, maybe something that works with the desk. As long as the desk or work area is 'enabled', somehow, it'll provide data and power.

9. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

this!

and a 17" version :cool:

10. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

I have NO clue what you're talking about here...nor does it sound the least. It compelling

"Image the same trackpad but with a dynamic luminous underlay.

- They could make the track pad have a dynamic LCD below to create things like a number pad."

Possibly though, if I AM understanding just, Alienware does goofy things like that.

As far as audibility of both my 15" 2012 rMBPs and my 2013 Haswell 15", neither are even close to what anyone would consider anything but whisper quiet. When I'm transcoding DVCPRO-HD or AVC Intra to Pro Res or to format I'm using in Premier, After Effects or Smoke, I'll hear fans spin up. Doing their thing. Certainly wouldn't consider them loud by ANY stretch of the imagination. While most of our heavy transcoding and finalizing is done on our Mac Pros because of our I/O structure we often use the rMBPs as field editors, recording and playback, DMX Smart lighting control, etc. No thermal issues. Definitely no loud fans.

They're easily the best computers I've ever purchased. Especially when it comes to power, speed, the display...and how incredibly quiet they actually are....as well, their build quality which brings me to your next point. Sticky to your belly has nothing to do, AT ALL with 'improved fitting!' Reminds me of the NFL's 'Come on Man!'

Brightness? I guess I'm not bothered at all. Seems excellent to me. Faired well in DisplayMate and Anand's testing and my over the year usage pattern and workflow. The two times I did use it outdoors though, it was tough to see. If this area can be improved, I'll agree. But at the expense of anything else, I'm not at all interested ;)
    I love mine, especially because of these displays. They're absolutely revolutionary in my world with my 42 year old eyes that need readers:). The colors, the sharpness, uniformity and I could go on and on and on. Very happy with the 'retina revolution!' iPhones, the iPads and now the laptop displays. It's amazing and hopefully 2014 will be the year ALL other OEMs are on board with HiDPI as well as site coders, app developers and the OS builders (by implementing truly problem free multi display resolution independency and no lag, no latency). As well, the big browsing companies.

As far as the bezel, IMHO, it's the best in the industry. It's gorgeous.
    As far as color choices? I'm not following you. Do you want a white, plastic MBP? A black model? How long have you been using Macs?
    Silver/Gray/Aluminum is kinda their 'thing'. And again...as always...ymmv, IMHO, the design aesthetics, color, bezel, colors and trackpad, keyboard and display, I/O options, PCIe storage, have I mentioned anything about this freaking DISPLAY? Lol.

I do have a complaint. And hopefully a fix or addition as it would be down the road. I want a dedicated iOS input. Doesn't have to be USB. A lightning connector would be great. Kinda like a third USB port that I'm missing, but with twin thunderbolt ports, twin USB 3, HDMI and SD, audio....I'm happy as a clam. That said, with a lightning connector, you'd be able to tether, charge, transfer and sync, all while keeping the other two USB slots open. We use an external sound card/system via USB 3--- & the other USB is tied to an external HDD. I need another one and don't want to add the additional wiring for a powered USB reader. The idea, less is more is relevant here. Our systems have to look 'tidy'

I'm actually starting to feel Apple is starting to become MUCH more fair with RAM&SSD pricing. This round, the speed and availability of PCIe SSDs on the market...the base 15 + $600 and you gain 300MHz in the CPU. A dedicated GPU. Double the RAM. And double the storage 512GB of, again, faster than hell PCIe SSDs. Speeds reading nearly 800Mb/sec? Unheard of other than $5,000, 10 pound workstations.
    And again...in that high end machine, another $500 gets you a TB PCIe SSD. A buck a gig. For the latest, fastest and reliable storage on the market

There's always been an 'Apple tax' as much as I absolutely despise the cliche. Folks forget when you buy a Mac, you don't need security protection programs, photo and video manipulation programs (that are DAMN nice for the average consumer). A word processor now (a very good one, I've switched almost completely from Office in the past three years unless forced, it's on my machines). Numbers, Keynote...now FREE OS updates with extremely good post purchase support (compare an Apple Store to dealing the the Geek Squad!).
    They don't make 'cheap'
    They're on the cutting edge of EVERY design facet of their phones, tablets, and their computers. The speed of the storage. The displays. The storage. Reliability, support, free OS updates, battery life away from an outlet, build quality....even the hinge exudes confidence when opening and shutting the lid.

Sorry. I may across as a crazed Apple 'FanBoy'. Again. A cliche I hate. But if you're an owner and a real 'user' of the rMBP, you know EXACTLY what I'm saying. It's the pinnacle of mobile computing in 2013 and my hope is the other OEMs appreciate these technologies and pursue them, continue to push Apple to innovate and 'stay ahead'. Even if you're a Window's user (& don't need a touch screen) with the 8.1 update, the rMBP is one HELL of a Windows machine as well. You'll sacrifice battery life as it'll force the 750 if you've got the the discreet card. I'm sure a smart developer will come up with a Window's version of gfxCardStatus at some point, but that said, if I was in the market for a nice Windows machine, solely for Windows, I would strongly consider an rMBP as my choice.

I could ramble on and on. Family's alseep. I'm watching 'Jobs' and this was kind of an interesting post. Got me thinking what I'd like to see in future rMBPs. While in the past I've had ideas for improvements, complaints, even ideas that would 'better' the laptop I was currently working with
    In the past 15 months, I've not thought ONCE that "I wish the rMBP had 'this' or didn't have this nagging issue". It's been an absolute pleasure to own and I, for one as an owner am VERY Excited to see where Apple goes from here with their laptops. The Air with a HiDPI display I'm sure is next on the docket. Their work with Intel to improve integrated GPUs has been exceptional with their improvements over the core iX generational improvements. Look at the performance in under two years....from the 3000 to the 5200! It's astonishing if they're able to keep it up. Within a year or two we're taking about a 15 hour laptop with retina display, 50% more computing power and double....maybe quadruple the integrated performance and storage that approaches 2Gb/sec. It's an exciting time to be a
    FanBoy!

J

11. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

Well, yeah, of course! If they're going to come out with a 13" iPad Pro...then what's wrong with a 17-inch MBP?

12. yliu macrumors regular

dGPU for all models!

Larger trackpad for 15 inch model (yes, I still want it to be larger:D)

13. PDFierro macrumors 68040

dGPUs are never coming back to a 13-inch Mac. And they are going away in general. But I guess this thread is about wishes. I just like to be realistic.

14. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

6 core CPU with each core getting a 10000 score on Geekbench 3 :D

15. raybies, Nov 30, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2013

raybies macrumors member

Maybe the following will help you:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The trackpad would look exactly the same except when you turned on the back display.

Maybe you should read something other than Mac Life.

Numerous manufacturers have had RAID 0 SSD configurations for years... hell my 3 year old HP has 700MB/s R/W with better random IOPS, the PCIe SSD's only excel in sequential R/W.

Ultrabook: Acer Aspire S7-392 975 MB/s (reads); 1.1GB/s (writes)
    Sony, Asus, ... have them too.
    Sony also have the PCIe.

Oh and it's Samsung who are innovating in this space, and are pushing the PCIe M.2 format... Samsung XP941... as for reliability they publish their MTBF for each type.

Apple's contribution to PCIe is a proprietary interface so you can't upgrade.

16. MacSumo macrumors regular

For $4000 or less:

-17"+ inch display (preferably 19 or 21 or more, if it can be under 6 pounds)
    -1.07 billion color display
    -Bright, uniform, accurate display
    -Max temp of 70C when CPU load is 100%
    -Keyboard never gets warm to touch
    -6 year minimum lifecycle
    -32 to 64gb of ddr4 memory
    -REAL 2k resolution display with legible fonts (no sampling gimmicks)
    -under 6 pounds
    -quad or hex core
    -5+ hours sustained rendering battery life. 24+ hours idle / general activity (content browsing, typing)
    -quiet fans (current rMBP is VERY loud at 6000rpm)

-BUILT IN anti-theft / tracking device with remote wipe, REAL GPS (no wifi), and detailed tracking reports, with separate internal battery for sustained activity that can also be charged from the main battery