Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
Having the HDR last year and now an aging Ultrafine 5k, how about Apple debuts a new alternative 5k monitor to replace the Cinema?

By all reports the Ultrafine is great, especially the newest models.

However, the HDR is well out of reach for normal Apple laptop users.

And the collaboration between Apple and LG for the Ultrafine is years old now.

If a new, ARM based MacBook is to debut in the next year, it will likely sport a major improvement over Intel’s Iris.

Being able to dock a new MacBook to an updated Apple display in the $1000 range would be a pretty sweet pair of products to sell. People would likely pick up magic accessories as well.

Why nowish, though? Consider the amount of hardware / sw debug we’ve seen post release. Getting the product out the door soon gives it a chance to be solidly tested prior to the debut of a new laptop.

The display could sport a high end forward facing iSight, something drastically missing from Apple products when we’re needing teleconference more than ever.

Or even bigger would be for the display to offer Face ID. Allowing seamless purchases using Apple Pay, and simple authentication for the system and across the web. Thus boosting keychain and Log In with Apple initiatives.

martyjmclean

Cancelled
Jan 24, 2018
Having the HDR last year and now an aging Ultrafine 5k, how about Apple debuts a new alternative 5k monitor to replace the Cinema?

And the collaboration between Apple and LG for the Ultrafine is years old now.
The LG UltraFine has the same panel as the iMac...

The display could sport a high end forward facing iSight, something drastically missing from Apple products when we’re needing teleconference more than ever.

Or even bigger would be for the display to offer Face ID. Allowing seamless purchases using Apple Pay, and simple authentication for the system and across the web. Thus boosting keychain and Log In with Apple initiatives.
It's drastically missing because iSight was replaced with FaceTime.

Face ID/Touch ID wouldn't be possible in external accessories. Authentication/Apple Pay/SIWA already work on Macs with Touch ID (and Macs without).

• Haha
Reactions: Adult80HD and DeanL

henrymyf

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2015
I think Logi 4K camera is good enough for general usage. The universal edition with the clip is easy to mount on any monitor, and the XDR edition is especially convenient with the magnetic foot.

The other day, I was Skyping with a friend in UArk, and he was surprised by how clear my image was (which might not be a good thing. XD).

I think for the camera on the external monitor, the ability of adjusting the tilting angle is of some importance. I have used the LG ultrafine 5K monitor, and I finally returned it because I cannot stand the fact that the best view angles of my eye to the screen and the camera to myself are different, and cannot be adjusted individually.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I think Logi 4K camera is good enough for general usage. The universal edition with the clip is easy to mount on any monitor, and the XDR edition is especially convenient with the magnetic foot.

The other day, I was Skyping with a friend in UArk, and he was surprised by how clear my image was (which might not be a good thing. XD).

I think for the camera on the external monitor, the ability of adjusting the tilting angle is of some importance. I have used the LG ultrafine 5K monitor, and I finally returned it because I cannot stand the fact that the best view angles of my eye to the screen and the camera to myself are different, and cannot be adjusted individually.

life you that worked go with a good 1080 Web camera instead so they can’t tell how long ago when you shaved!;)

• Haha
Reactions: 4sallypat

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Not. Gonna. Happen.

EDIT on 6/25/20:
Who was right?

Last edited:

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
Unlike the high-end market that the Pro display aims for, the mid-market is pretty saturated and I don't see Apple offering a monitor that can be competitive at the prices they tend to offer.

patrick.a

macrumors regular
May 22, 2020
Saturated market? If Apple would offer a 27“ 5k or a 32“ 6k (could be a 500nits so basically a Pro Display without XDR for half the price) I‘m sure people would buy it and happily pay a premium for that. At least I would. Buying an external monitor for a Mac is such a pain that it actually makes me consider an iMac for that reason. There‘s just so little options available at the moment!

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
Saturated market? If Apple would offer a 27“ 5k or a 32“ 6k (could be a 500nits so basically a Pro Display without XDR for half the price) I‘m sure people would buy it and happily pay a premium for that. At least I would. Buying an external monitor for a Mac is such a pain that it actually makes me consider an iMac for that reason. There‘s just so little options available at the moment!
I’m in full agreement and would pay a premium for an Apple designed 5k 27 or possibly 6k 32” display.

Apple often sells products in markets that are saturated but designs them so much better they change expectations for what the category can / should do.

Reactions: bluespark

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
I'd spend $3k on a new-age Thunderbolt display without a second thought.
That’s too much for me at 27”.

I’m focused on the Ultrafine 27” 5k range. That’s $1300 now.

If Apple put out their own 27” 5k is probably expect it to debut around $1600-1700. That’s expecting the quality and design to be top of the line.

I think LG would hold their price for a time and then drop it $100 or more. It would make it a harder choice to spend that extra premium.

I could see a 32” for another $800–maybe $2499 or something.

I wonder if both would be compatible with the $1k stand.

I am not sure pricing could be a lot higher and still have it focused on developers and code font.

Pixel density and other features that reduce eyestrain are the primary concerns. Perhaps adjustability to improve ergonomics.

Regardless, if introduced at wwdc the monitor should presented in a way that it causes all mac devs to want it.

Apple has been so specific about proprietary stuff to set things apart. That was why I suspected Face ID.

Last edited:

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
Topping this in light of the WWDC iMac rumor. It would be great if they announced both a redesigned iMac and alongside it a redesigned cinema display with the same specs for use on mac mini and ahem, a new Blackmagic Pro.

Reactions: oppastopa

syndr0me

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
Inclined to agree it won't happen, but you'd think all those people suddenly working from home with standard issue base model MBPs from work might want a monitor that isn't trash. Maybe target display mode will return as part of the iMac refresh. Monitor by day, iMac by night. It just seems like something Apple would want to address, especially at WWDC. Gotta think the new remote work friendly world will be high on the list of things to talk about at least.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Unlike the high-end market that the Pro display aims for, the mid-market is pretty saturated and I don't see Apple offering a monitor that can be competitive at the prices they tend to offer.

They don’t need to be competitively price and they’ll sell like hot cakes (the Apple faithful will take care of that).
Additionally, Apple has become so adept at machining aluminum I imagine, it’s not a huge task to add a standalone display to their product line.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
Monitor by day, iMac by night.

I was pining for that when shopping for a monitor in March to use with a Windows laptop from work. Luckily, they assigned me one that can do 4K, so I bought something good enough to keep around after the pandemic.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I would be interested as long as it had some normal input options.

The monitor would be so expensive that I have to have some flexibility in terms of what I can plug into it and make it last for a long time

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
So, I know this is probably still wishful thinking but I thought it might be interesting to try and wargame a set of products for announcement:

---

PRESS RELEASE
June 22, 2020
Apple Unveils New 27-inch 5k Retina Cinema Display
Features
  • 27 inch IPS display
  • 5120 x 2880 @ 60Hz
  • Built in HD video camera, microphone and speakers
  • One Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C), three USB-C
  • True Tone
  • Basic stand
  • Power cord (2m), Apple Thunderbolt 3 Pro cable (2m)
  • Polishing Cloth
Standard Glass - $1999
Nano-texture Glass - $2799
Sold Separately
  • Pro Display Stand (same as XDR)
  • Vesa Mount Adapter
---

Thoughts / edits?

I took inspiration from the last display press release from apple which was coincidentally just under 10 years ago! I also looked at what was in the XDR tech specs and the press release for that.

I think there is a lot of synergy between a product like this and the XDR. Because technology created for the XDR could be applied here, such as the nano-texture upgrade and the availability of the Pro stand.

Also for pricing, this is still way higher than the LG Ultrafine, so it doesn't really mess with that collaboration. Yet it is still a good ways more expensive to be looking at the XDR.

I struggled most with how Apple could deliver a standard stand that would come with this product and still offer the Pro display stand option as an upgrade. For example, it doesn't make sense to undermine the existing pro stand with something that works on this new monitor that is cheaper but somehow still meets Apple's threshold for quality.

That said, there's something to the idea of being able to sell the same Pro stand for multiple products. I do think it would need a price cut though.

If I have time, maybe I'll take a shot at the actual theoretical press release that focuses on how great it is for developers. Whom I believe are dramatically underserved in display tech right now, and is partly illustrated by discussion in this thread about using the XDR for software development.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: jukkhop

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
I don't think there's been any rumours of new monitors.
Was there rumor of the XDR in advance of its announcement? edit: I can't find evidence of rumors. If so, it would suggest that R&D of another display could be done out of sight.

I also wanted to point out that Gruber called for a monitor like I've described here around this time last year.
But I’ve been holding out hope that in addition to the $5,000–7,000 Pro Display XDR, Apple might also release their own 6K (or even 5K) Pro Display without all of the advanced color and brightness capabilities, for pro users whose work doesn’t require those expensive features.

Last edited:

syndr0me

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
I kind of expect them to drop new 27" and maybe 32" iMacs that bring back target display mode and call those monitors. Maybe with some improved TDM features, like the whole PC doesn't have to run to use it like a monitor.

ctrlzone

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2017
i love apple displays, the market really lacks glossy Monitors, they are always "anti glare"...for whatever Reason.
basically an iMac without the computer, just the Monitor.
around the $1000 mark
would sell like cake.

mrmister

Suspended
Dec 19, 2008
I wish this was going to happen...but it will not. Just like Apple is out of the printer business and then the router business, it is out of the monitor business, too.

syndr0me

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
I mean, the XDR _is_ a monitor, albeit highly niche, so they're not completely out. And they've allowed the iMac in the past to act like a monitor, but discontinued the feature due to technical limitations at the time. And a whole bunch of people are now stuck at home connecting laptops to crappy monitors. I agree that they'll probably continue to ignore the consumer monitor segment though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.