Wishing to work for Apple in the future

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tkepongo, Nov 14, 2007.

1. tkepongo macrumors regular

tkepongo

Hey guys, I'm currently a sophmore in College and majoring in Accounting. I'm trying to figure out a good minor that will help out with my major and hopefully get me a job in the future. So far I'm thinking of minoring in Communication and going to Grad school for Accounting OR double majoring in Accounting and MIS (Management Information Systems)

2. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

Accountants dont have problems getting jobs and minors don't really help that much.
    Try to land a good internship and that will get you on the right track towards a career.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

My minor has helped me quite a bit.

4. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

And what minor was that?

I got a BS in Business Admin with a concentration in Accounting and a minor in Sociology. For me, I kind of just happened into a minor since I took so many sociology classes as electives. It hasn't helped me a bit.
    But maybe getting one in something a bit more pertinant to the field would help. I don't know.

But I still stand by the fact that a key internship is gold.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I majored in Architecture, and got a minor in Construction Management. Because of that minor, I am now doing Contract Administration work that pays more than other aspects of the architectural profession (and happens to be more enjoyable to me than being a CAD monkey).

I dunno, for some people a minor may be useless, but blanket statements like yours are simply not true.

6. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

I was targeting the OPs situation in looking for a minor to go with an accounting degree. I think in my profession they don't help (significantly). I will concede they do add incremental value and may be helpful in other fields.

7. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Get an internship with Apple accounting, or work for some other tech companies as an intern, and keep posting your resume to Apple when jobs are open.

Or get to know people in the tech industry and network.

But for starters, focus on your studies...if you're majoring in Accounting and you want to work for a tech firm take whatever minor interests you with a smattering of computer classes for electives...

For the record, I majored in philosophy in college with a minor in women's studies and now I work in the finance industry. Where you work during/after college matters as much as your overall degree, so make sure you're looking for the right internships to fit your goals.