Witch MBP 15" should i buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Morgan71, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Morgan71 macrumors newbie

Hello... i am planning to buy a new 15" MBP for Lightroom and Photoshop CS5 with RAW files and Logic Studio,and i am planning to use a 27" cinema display with 2560x1440 resolution as a eksternal display at home. Which configuration should i go for. Do i need the best configuration 2.2GHz with amd 6750M with AG or should i go for the 2.0GHz prosessor with amd 6490M with AG? The different is $500 here in norway.

I have heard that the new LION will need som more resourses than Snow Leopard and because of that i should buy the MBP with the best displaycard.
    I planning to keep the MBP for at least 6 years.

2. darknite38 macrumors regular

3. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Don't buy a witch MBP 15", anything that a witch makes is not to be trusted.

4. Morgan71 thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry..for my english.. but i hope you understand..

5. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Using an external display will also eat up a portion of virtual memory, so getting the 15" with the better graphics card and VRAM will work out better.

I say, get the 2.2Ghz Quad with 1GB GPU AG and you should be set.

6. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

I do, I'm just giving you crap. Playful Internet banter, you know.

As for which 15" MacBook Pro, it boils down to this:

Are you a gamer or a video editor? Do you do things that require or take advantage of a good GPU?

If both answers are no, get the lower-end model. If either answer or even both answers are yes, get the higher-end one. It's as simple as that.

7. Morgan71 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello again.. as i wrote in a early post in this thread...
    i am not a gamer... but i have a little canon hd video camera that i want to use now and then for my family...and then put together a film on my computer.
    Then i use Logic Studio to make music with my midi keyboard.
    But the main thing i will do with the mac is editing pictures in Lightroom and Photoshop CS5,i use mostly RAW files,and i want to use a 27" cinema display
    with 2560x 1440 resolution as an eksternal display,and i am planning to keep my new mac for many years.
    I am going to phone some apple stores here in norway to hear what they have to say. Some people say i need a good videocard because i want to conect a 27" monitor with high resolution.

8. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If you plan to keep it for a while, I'd go with the higher end model. The low end will certainly run the 27" ACD, but doesn't have the best GPU for longevity. I'm surprised that they don't offer a GPU upgrade for the low end model, although they probably wouldn't make as much that way.

9. mbprouser macrumors member

mbprouser

I'm partial to the warlock MacBook Pro myself :)