Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigcol1983

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
scotland
when the iphone 2 comes out do u think i can transfer my existing contract a non iphone one to the new iphone contract, or would i need to pay money to get it transfered.

with 02 18month plan, 7 months in to it.

Unguided

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2008
The speculation is that the tariffs will not change, so you'll just be able to swap the SIM into the new iPhone and activate asn an existing customer. Following the same steps that others did upgrading from 8gb to 16gb iPhones.

bigcol1983

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
scotland
dont know if u know what i was on about but i dont currently have a iphone contract just a normal 18months 02 contract, if on monday tuesday apple and 02 say its available can i walk into 02 shop and get out my old 02 contract for a new iphone contract and tarrif

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2006
UK
Im in the same situation (well i have an unlocked iPhone atm).

I rang 02 and said that if i want to change over to an iPhone contract when the new one comes out will i have to wait for my current contract to run out and they said no. all i have to do it buy the new iPhone and when i plug it into iTunes say that i dont want a new contract i want to move my number over and chose which contract i wont (£35,45 or 55) and then thats it.

They said aslong as you dont cancel it first etc or want to change your number its all good :)

hope that helps

Ben

bigcol1983

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
scotland
so i wont have to contracts running side by side at a cost of about 90 quid lol, and i can transfer my number from my previous contact.

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2006
UK
Nope it will just turn ur current contract into an iPhone contract. to be 100% ring them just before. They lady said i could ring her and she would do it all for me over the phone if you think that would be easier :)

Hope this clears things up!

theGAPkid

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
UK
Im in the same situation - I have a 12mth 02 contract (10mths remaining)

Should be £35 a month, I get it for £17.50 via cashback.

Do you reckon I'd just be easier buying one and unlocking it?

mmoosa

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
London, UK
Im in the same situation (well i have an unlocked iPhone atm).

I rang 02 and said that if i want to change over to an iPhone contract when the new one comes out will i have to wait for my current contract to run out and they said no. all i have to do it buy the new iPhone and when i plug it into iTunes say that i dont want a new contract i want to move my number over and chose which contract i wont (£35,45 or 55) and then thats it.

They said aslong as you dont cancel it first etc or want to change your number its all good :)

hope that helps

Ben

That's a bit odd in my opinion, it cant be that they would just transfer your unfinished contract onto an iphone contract(18 months), you will still have an outstanding contract with them. that means they lose out on the rest of your contract which you signed, you would usually be charged your tariff for the remaining months.
The only way they are going to just swap you over onto iPhone 2 and starting a new 18 month contract for free is if you purchased iPhone 1 where the total cost of the phone is already paid for by you, so they are making no loss. but are just moving you onto the newer iphone sale method which is the subsidising one.

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2006
UK
Im only saying what the lady at 02 told me.

She said if i want an iPhone to just get one and just start the 18 month contract and it doesnt matter how long you have been in you current contract!

Sorry if you dont believe it but thats what ive been told by 02. There not really losing out because your signing a new 18 month contract so they dont really care!

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2006
UK
Im in the same situation - I have a 12mth 02 contract (10mths remaining)

Should be £35 a month, I get it for £17.50 via cashback.

Do you reckon I'd just be easier buying one and unlocking it?

Im not sure! Ive been unlocked since the start and it def has got a lot easier but im just going to go on a normal iPhone contract because it will be so much easier with the updates and app store etc.

If you can afford the £35 there no reason why you shouldnt to be honest.

theGAPkid

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
UK
Im not sure! Ive been unlocked since the start and it def has got a lot easier but im just going to go on a normal iPhone contract because it will be so much easier with the updates and app store etc.

If you can afford the £35 there no reason why you shouldnt to be honest.

Yeah, I see your point, It would be so much easier. But then Id have the small problem of a 10mth contract to finish off :confused:

Why couldnt I just wait? lol

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2006
UK
You dont have to wait. aslong as you are swapping your contract over to a 18 month iPhone contract 02 dont mind. So you dont have to wait out your current 02 contract :)

theGAPkid

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
UK
Would they want my phone back?

its a W910i, quite expensive for just 2mths usage :S

Couldnt afford an iPhone if i didnt sell it hehe

Aravintht

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
London, UK
You dont have to wait. aslong as you are swapping your contract over to a 18 month iPhone contract 02 dont mind. So you dont have to wait out your current 02 contract :)

That is only if the contract is from o2.

o2 do not directly do redemption deals, they are done through third party companies like E2save/cpw etc

So if you end it tomorrow for example. you will pay 10months x 35 =£350 and if you read the T&C of you redemption deal, you will not get the money back.

So if i were you, stick with what you have and hacktivate when a hack is released

mmoosa

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
London, UK
Would they want my phone back?

its a W910i, quite expensive for just 2mths usage :S

Couldnt afford an iPhone if i didnt sell it hehe

nope, they dont want your old phone, if you want to cancel, pay the rest of the contract off, so ur current tariff x remaining months. so you paying for something that you could be using if you cancel. just unlock the iphone and get a data bundle. vodafone is giving it to me for free and they givin me the £45 iphone plan on vodafone for £30, coz my contract is over but i love the service i get, oh and they are going to insure my iphone so if anything happens ill be alright. all that, only if i stay with them, and because i've only had vodafone from the get go.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
nope, they dont want your old phone, if you want to cancel, pay the rest of the contract off, so ur current tariff x remaining months. so you paying for something that you could be using if you cancel. just unlock the iphone and get a data bundle. vodafone is giving it to me for free and they givin me the £45 iphone plan on vodafone for £30, coz my contract is over but i love the service i get, oh and they are going to insure my iphone so if anything happens ill be alright. all that, only if i stay with them, and because i've only had vodafone from the get go.

why would vodafone insure a phone they dont technically support?

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2006
UK
to save any confusion I would ring 02 and ask!

When I rang them they said that i could switch to an iPhone traffic whenever I wanted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.