When I see people reporting they never have iPod crashes(or safari crashes). And, Apple tech support hasn't heard of it(I called in twice). I'm not so confident they are working on it, or that it is absolutely a software problem. That's why I waited, and tried 1.0.1. I kept waiting, 1.0.2 still didn't fix it. It's costing me NOTHING to let them see my phone.I would not personally exchange the phone when it is most likely fixed in software; you may get a bigger problem on the replacement and continue to have the ipod issue until a software update comes out. I am confident that apple monitors the forum here and if enough people say there is a problem a fix would hopefully not be far off.
What if you don't get your phone back but a "new" one and it has, for example, a pixel problem. You try to return this phone and Apple says its normal. This is why I don't want to risk sending my phone in especially since it looks like a software issue. I have to admit, however, that I can't explain the significant number of people that are reporting no issues (unless they are only surfing for a few minutes at a time). It also seems that if you wait for the page to load before scrolling, the error rarely happens - perhaps this is how they use the phone?I will get my same phone back if they fix it, a new phone if they can't. Whats the problem with that? If my new phone has a different issue(I doubt it), I'll send it in. At all times, I get a loaner, so I'm never without an iPhone. It's your choice of course, but I don't agree with your reason for not sending it in.