With a new watch, setup as new or with backup

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by eagleglen, Sep 22, 2017.

1. eagleglen macrumors 65816

eagleglen

I'm getting a new series 3 watch today that will replace my 1st gen series 0. As this is my first replacement, I'm a bit confused. If I unpaid my old watch first, a backup is made that I can then use to set up my new watch. But since the iPhone can support multiple watches, I can also pair the new watch and keep the old one paired too. In both cases, I assume all my historical data is preserved (health and exercise). Is there any advantage of one method over the other and what differences are there. I imagine if I just add the new watch, it will be set up as new and need to be configured, which I don't mine. I just don't want to loose any data.

2. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Well, if you setup from backup it will retain your settings and you don't have to do it all over again
    But if says, you have regular watch and you buy NIKE watch, don't restore from backup. It will delete NIKE watch faces.

3. paapplefan macrumors newbie

So I had a Nike Watch gen 2 and am getting a gen 3 sport. What should I do?

4. eagleglen thread starter macrumors 65816

eagleglen

This is what I'd prefer to do, but my health and previous exercise data will be preserved, correct?

5. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

Well, I set up my iPhone as new as well so all my health and exercise data was deleted from both devices, BUT you can upgrade your phone to iOS 11 normally and Health data will now be synced to iCloud. I suppose you can then restore the phone as new and the watch too but all your Health data will be back on the phone when you set up your Apple ID.

6. eagleglen thread starter macrumors 65816

eagleglen

Hmmm... Well my phone is updated to iOS 11 and I'm not switching it right now. I'll just add the new watch without unpairing my old one and see how it goes. Thanks tho.

7. natallica macrumors 6502

Let us know. I'm going from S0 Sport to S3 Sport and I'd like to keep my exercise data as well.

8. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Health & exercise data will be pulled from Health on iPhone. Has nothing to do with watch backup (unless we're talking about backup of iPhone).

9. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

I’m interested in this as well because I was planning on keeping my old watch as a backup in case my new one ever needed to be sent in for repairs. It should work by just adding it as a second watch, but would like verification. I would hate to lose all of my health data...move streak is currently at 851 days and counting.

10. jekim macrumors regular

I am curious as well to see what the best way is.

11. doodads macrumors 6502

doodads

This is what I did. I set my watch up as a new watch, and all of my health data was back on the new phone.