With AirPlay, is iPod touch the ultimate music player?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 9OOYO, Jul 12, 2011.

1. 9OOYO macrumors regular

I don't want to always have my MacBook pro on just to play music because of energy consumption and wasting the MacBooks life. I've been considering just running my whole library from iPod touch via AirPlay. I have under 75 gb so this is doable.

Any downfall?

My original plan was to get a media server but the Mac mini is too pricey just to play music.

2. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Yeh it works great for smaller libraries, but I think you'd have a hard time getting 75gb on a 64gb iPod... Maybe 58gb if you're really just going to use it exclusively as a music server to your speakers.

3. urkel macrumors 68030

Thats confusing. You dont want to always have your Macbook Pro running due to energy consumption, but you want to run your 75GB library through your touch.... which would require having a computer running iTunes to always be on.

It stinks because I'm in the same dilemma with the AppleTV. I want 24/7 access to my iTunes library but that requires me having my MBP always on so that I can access iTunes. I think the obvious solution here is one Apple didnt implement. Make the Time Capsule an iTunes server. Since its your router then its on all the time, its an Apple product so there's no incompatibility and 2TB of storage space is adequate for most people.

Thats actually how my setup is now. I got the 2TB Time Capsule and put my entire library on it, but in order to access it I need to have my MBP on just to read the files. Its a very unefficient and power consuming system.

4. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Yeh I've got the same set up and dilemma. I've also got an apple tv though, which I jailbroke, so I can get it to access my NAS drive through media player or XBMC. Problem is that the media player still doesn't work that well and XBMC is not as nicely integrated into the apple tv as I'd like it too.

I agree, would love apple to turn time capsules and airport extremes into iTunes servers. I think the rumours that have been around of TCs and AEBSs running iOS sounded promising, too bad they didn't come to fruition. Maybe later.

So the OPs idea of streaming all media from an iPod touch via AirPlay is pretty good, if the size of your media library allows it.

5. 9OOYO thread starter macrumors regular

Can't I just have all of the files downloaded to my iPod touch and play them that way (with the MBP off)? In other words, the whole library actually resides on my iPod touch?

I currently have a Belkin router with thse specs:Belkin Components Belkin N+ Wireless Router Wireless router - 4-port switch (integrated) - EN, Fast EN, Gigabit EN, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n (draft 2.0)

I wish I had a better solution!!!!!!!! UGHHHHHH!!!!

6. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

yes, you can, no problem at all... ipod touches, iPhones and iPads support AirPlay. :)

7. 9OOYO thread starter macrumors regular

I really wish I could access my itunes libraby from an extended drive without having a computer on.

Does anybody have an alternative solution for this? I have an iPad but only got 32 GB - my mistake I guess!!!! Maybe I'll just turn on my PC and play from that when I want to rock out.:(

8. jseago macrumors newbie

9. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Yeh it's annoying, isn't it? I hope there'll be something new at the September media event...

Probably best to start a new thread about this?

10. urkel macrumors 68030

I thought you said 75GB of iTunes media so you couldn't fit it all, but you could fit enough.

What bugs me is that iCloud turned out to be a storage service, but not streaming. If they ever make your entire library playable over the Internet (like Pandora) then it would free up more space locally because we could carry 10GB of our favorite tunes and leave the other 65GB in the cloud. But that isn't here yet so I'm fumbling with solutions and services also.

11. 9OOYO thread starter macrumors regular

I only have 27GB of music right now and I truly don't listen to all of it. I think I've settled on syncing the music i am currently listening to on my iPad and streaming that to the express unit & my stereo. This means I wouldn't have to leave my Macbook on and its user friendly for my lady. If I need to pull books, comics etc... I'll just store them on my dropbox to import/delete as needed.

I guess the trap with streaming is that people feel like it will force you to use more data (need more of a data plan on your mobile).