With Airport: Keeping someone off my network..

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kjvi5, Jun 22, 2009.

1. kjvi5 macrumors member

O.K. so I have an Airport Extreme router connected to my iMac. I have it password protected. Yet in finder there's another computer still showing up on my "shared" column that is not one of my computers or devices.

What's the best way to handle this? Like I said I have it password protected already and obviously that is not working.

Someone said something about doing something that takes a snapshot of current devices connected and having it only allow those.

Or is there a way to kick this person off of my network?

Any help or advice appreciated.

2. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Can you change the password? What kind of security are you using? I would suggest WPA or WPA2, they're much better than the out-dated WEP.

You could also only allow certain MAC addresses. I don't know how to do this, but I'm sure you could find a guide on Google.

3. kjvi5 thread starter macrumors member

I'm using WPA2. I'll try to change the password and see if that works.

4. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

You could block the MAC address. Find the computer's MAC address, not too hard, and add it to the block list. Since MAC addresses don't (usually) change, this will keep the alien computer off the network.

5. kjvi5 thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately I don't know how to do either of those things (find the mac address or block it). I googled but couldn't come up with anything.

6. MacLovin78 macrumors regular

How do you know there is a foreign computer if you cannot find the mac address?

Go into the airport utility and click manual setup. There you will see 'Wireless Clients' near the bottom. Click on that and you will see the mac addresses of everything connecting to your network.

To block the offenders mac address go to the 'Access' tab and select 'Timed Access' from the MAC address access control. Click the '+' and then enter the mac address and click no access.