With all due respect I feel apple owes me $100. (please read first0

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by jthammer, Nov 29, 2011.

1. jthammer macrumors newbie

I'll start by saying my brother is a Mac man through and through and is a graphic designer and is apple everything and mac everything. So my family is a fan. Here is my problem. I purchased about 100 dollars in songs from itunes a few years ago and had a music library I really liked. well, a friend of mine that scraps metal for a living had a huge magnet and touched it to my laptop by accident and completely wiped my hard drive clean rendering my computer absolutely useless. Well with my newer laptop i just downloaded itunes the other day and was flabbergasted to see my library was gone even though there was still a list of everything i had purchased in the past. now from what I've read you can get songs on your new computer by basically putting them from your ipod back into your itunes library. Well, I don't have an ipod with any of those tunes because i was always quite happy to listen from my computer and i just never bought an ipod. Does that mean I'm a silly stupid man? Does that mean I don't deserve to have the songs I paid for? Now please understand I'm not trying to say Apple is a bad company and I have talked no trash about them because from all the great things I've heard from my brother and some others, i kinda think Apple would just do the right thing. Am I wrong here? Please don't bad talk me if I'm missing something obvious because i am not the most computer or technologically savvy person but i just feel it's fair to have the songs in my itunes library that I have paid hard earned money for. Thank you

2. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

No one who does not understand how paragraphs work deserves $100 from anyone.

3. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

One of the many reasons I physically buy my music.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

1. Always maintain a backup.

2. ALWAYS maintain a backup.

3. You can re-download your past purchases from iTunes for free.

6. bmacir macrumors 6502

Correct me if I'm wrong, if you purchased music on iTunes once, you are allowed to download it again for free....

and

also

this:

:D

7. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I feel this poster actually hit the nail on the head.

8. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Just download it again for free. Apple owes you nothing.

9. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

I'm sorry. WHAT?

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

jthammer, Apple tells you to back up. Apple asks you if you want to back up. Apple allows you to re-download your purchased content for free. Tell me how you've been damaged. My guess is you can't and therefore, you are not entitled to anything.

Notwithstanding, you should highly consider making use of your "return" key now and then. ;)

11. soco macrumors 68030

soco

fixeditforya

12. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

As the others have said, you should always keep a back up. Apple makes it so easy with Time Machine. All you have to do is buy an external hard drive and plug it in and point Time Machine to it. That's all you have to do.

Apple doesn't owe you anything. It would do you well to lose this entitlement attitude that is sweeping society.

Why the heck did you let your friend bring a magnet near your computer in the first place? And for Pete's sake, format your posts better so the rest of us don't get a headache trying to read them.

13. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Have you approached Apple with this issue?

I'm guessing you haven't, and probably for obvious reasons. ;)

14. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

With iCloud, you should be able to log back into your iTunes account and download all your music again.

Is there some basic reason I'm missing why that wouldn't work that I missed?

But as a larger issue, Apple doesn't owe you anything(if you were unable to get the music back, but you should be able too) while it's true, they have allowed some people to redownload everything they have bought in the past( but again, users can download anything from their iTunes account now) But the computer is users, the hard drive is yours. You should be backing things up and attempting to keep your hard drive safe.

But once you have a working computer, just go into iTunes, log into your account and see if you can redownload everything. On a Mac you can click "Store" -> "Check for available downloads" and you should be able to get all your files back.

Also maybe invest in a solid state disk ;-)

15. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

You can re-download from Apple. I just tried it.

This article shows you how: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2519

Expand the section "To download previously purchased apps, books, music or TV Shows to your computer"

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So you're blaming apple for you not backing up your computer and a friend destroying your music library via a magnet. Why not take personal responsibility instead of blaming others.

17. AdrianK macrumors 68020

With all due respect, you're playing the blame game because you don't want to take responsibility.

18. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

HMV owes me £40! My friend accidentally used my XBox game disc as a coaster and spilt coffee on it.

19. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I bought a new Honda Accord, my friend stole it and crashed it into a tree. I think Honda owes me a new Accord. :rolleyes:

20. snberk103 macrumors 603

So... Is a Mac laptop magnetic? That is the only reason I can think of putting a large magnet near the computer.

And no, Apple absolutely does not owe you anything at all, for several reasons.

21. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

A newbie posting a hit-and-run story.

The trolls, you keep feeding them.