Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

V4705

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
i remember cydia app name xyplayer or something like that, that played xvid/divx movies on the 3g but very slow and laggy and they blame the hardware, now with all the new hardware of the iphone 4, what is the reason?
(and no, i'm not talking about integral option from apple, i know apple won't do that, but the Evo 4g also not playing this formats "from the box" but theres several 3rd-party player for that...).

thanks!

ny2nctova

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2008
i remember cydia app name xyplayer or something like that, that played xvid/divx movies on the 3g but very slow and laggy and they blame the hardware, now with all the new hardware of the iphone 4, what is the reason?
(and no, i'm not talking about integral option from apple, i know apple won't do that, but the Evo 4g also not playing this formats "from the box" but theres several 3rd-party player for that...).

thanks!

Dude yxflash awesome. Buy it in cydia.

V4705

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Anybody tried that? I didnt find any video about that app on iphone 4 and i cant try it myself cuz im just thinking to replace my galaxy s with an iphone and movies are my main usage.

Thanks!

ny2nctova

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2008
Anybody tried that? I didnt find any video about that app on iphone 4 and i cant try it myself cuz im just thinking to replace my galaxy s with an iphone and movies are my main usage.

Thanks!

Try it out!

V4705

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
try it out with what...?
i told you i dont have an iphone, i'm using android phone and thinking about the iphone 4 but the xvid/divx issue is the main reason i didnt got it yet.
i'm not gonna buy it only for try it...

mgamber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
AT&T gives you two weeks, or maybe 4, I forget, to return the phone if you don't like it for any reason. Short of buying an iPhone and actually trying it, I don't see how you're going to be able to determine if it's a solution that works for you. Not that it works at all, but that it works for you. So buy one and if it doesn't do what you need, simply return it. I do it all the time with various phones and while it's expensive up front, AT&T has never given me any problems at all about returning a phone and getting a refund.

Another solution might be to put the files on a computer with Orb and use the Orb iPhone client to watch them. Orb transcodes quite a few formats into something the iPhone likes "on the fly" and it doesn't require a jailbreak. That program you alluded to in your first message, the name of which escapes me at the moment, was garbage.

If the Galaxy works for you now, why bother with anything else?

V4705

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
the galaxy is terrible, the only good thing it does is movie player, thats it.
thats my main usage so i peak the galaxy but of course i need more than just that so i'm thinking to switch to the iphone 4 (because the evo 4g doesnt play divx/xvid out-of-the-box as well)...

thanks.

about the buy and return, its a little bit difficult for me, i'm working everyday in all the working hours so i dont really have time to return it if i have a problem (actually tomorrow is my last day to return the galaxy and i cried to my manager for a couple of hours break).

so... i'm trying to learn from my mistakes and this time do a lot of research to prevent this inconvenience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.