With all the ATT upgrade status changes online has...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMacUser324, Jun 28, 2008.

1. iMacUser324 macrumors regular

iMacUser324

anyone who borrowed a friends iPhone and activated through itunes and switched back to their old phone, did your status change to elegible for upgrade?

2. alejovh1 macrumors regular

I sold my iphone and using a razor, before I was not eligible but now I'm eligible to upgrade! :)

3. seenett macrumors regular

I just bought a used iPhone on CL for $250, took it to AT&T for a new SIM card, and activated it on iTunes. My upgrade status on AT&T's website instantly changed from ineligible to eligible. I am sure I can resell this iPhone for at least $250 after I get a 3g next month.

4. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

I recently asked the same too. Like if you could just borrow an iPhone from a friend, put in your current AT&T sim, activate on iTunes, then hand the iPhone back to your friend and keep your sim card with an iPhone plan on that account to take to ATT store to buy the new iPhone at a discount.

5. yflcsandi macrumors newbie

HI seenett, which new plan did you get for the sim card? I am undecided if I should get a prepaid or sign on a new plan. But if i sign on a new plan, will i thwart my chances of upgrading to iphone 3g?

6. yflcsandi macrumors newbie

Will it lock your friend's iphone?

7. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

I only know someone at work that has an iPhone, and my cousin is too far away. So I'm not going to risk messing up the account of the person at work. I almost wanted to suggest, I'd buy her old one for $250, then she could upgrade $199. But I'd want to buy her phone and activate it before the 11th to become eligible, but if there's a chance her eligibility is compromised, then the whole plan falls apart.

8. yflcsandi macrumors newbie

I just found out, you can always unlock it again free, yourself. Just google unlock iphone and they'll teach ya.

9. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

I don't think I'd want to unlock that iPhone. She has the 4gig model, and I'd basically want to upgrade to the 3G right away and possibly resell it later.

I'm still waiting for ATT since Friday morning to respond to my e-mail if going with the early upgrade at $399 would reset my upgrade eligibility for another 2 years, or will it still be on track for this November. If it is still Nov, then if a new iPhone comes out after this, I'd finally be eligible for the cheaper price, but I'd be pissed if I have to wait 18+ months after paying the $399 price.