Resolved With an external display, is it possible to do open clamshell, MacBook display off?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by altuixde, May 6, 2012.

1. altuixde, May 6, 2012
    Last edited: May 6, 2012

altuixde macrumors member

With Lion, is it possible to use an external display with a MacBook, leaving the clamshell open, and having nothing on the MacBook's display? It's possible to do this in Snow Leopard by waking up my MacBook with the clamshell closed (with an external display connected) and then opening the clamshell. However, in Lion, opening the clamshell when the MacBook is awake activates the MacBook's display. Is there another way to turn off the MacBook's display? I'd like to know because I need to leave the clamshell open in order to get reliable Wi-Fi reception in my room, and I don't want to waste VRAM on the MacBook's display.

Edit: This question has been resolved. Thanks phyrexia. I'll try it out later.

2. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

3. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

If that were the case we might as well get rid of the macrumor forums and be expected to always do a google search. How is it relivent if the link you provided is not even located on macrumors?

4. jamin00, May 6, 2012
    Last edited: May 6, 2012

jamin00 macrumors 6502

jamin00

Exactly, I see that reply a lot and think the same as you just said ;)

I was looking for an anwer to this and would have just used the brightness buttons to turn it right down as the lowest setting effectively turns the monitor off

Edit, it says "To go back to pre-Lion behaviour enter the following command in Terminal:" might be a silly question but is this JUST referring to the monitor issue?

5. phyrexia macrumors 6502a