With Apple Watch, is your phone on SILENT mode?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Thai, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Thai macrumors 6502a

Thai

Just wondering...ever since i got AW (June 2015), my iPhone is now permanently on silent mode. And the time that i charge my AW (in evening while eating dinner), i carry my iPhone around or switch off silent mode. After charging, i put my watch back on and go to sleep.

I have never missed a call or message.

Anyone else like me?

2. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

Yep, although I just charge my watch over night.

3. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

best part of owning an AW. No more notification dings and no more annoying vibration even when on silent. Taptic notifications only for me.

4. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Nope because some apps refuse to make any sound at all while in silent mode such as some games.

However yes the majority of the time my phone is in silent mode as well as the watch itself.

5. Ries macrumors 68000

I don't own a watch, but my phone is on silent 100% of the time (or 95%, the switch sometimes flicks in my pocket).

6. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68000

LoveToMacRumors

Not silent, but vibrateeeeeeeeee bzzb bzzzz bzzz

7. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

Same for me....

8. Thai thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thai

9. Jessem1133 macrumors 6502

Silent, no vibration.

Love it. Literally the only reason I'm still wearing my SS. Well, that and the Milanese is gorgeous.

10. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Same here. Since I got my watch my phone's mute switch has been on. The only time I might hear it is at night when my watch is on the charger.

11. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

No. On the contrary, my Watch is always in silent mode. (only vibration)

(I don't understand why you put your phone in silent mode since it will not notify you anyway if you're wearing the Watch, hence no sound will come off it)

12. Laserducky macrumors regular

Laserducky

Yeps,

I keep on silent nearly all the time as my watch notifies me without disturbing anyone else around me. Its the first time that I've stopped changing the ringtones/notification alerts on my iphone :)

Cheers !
    --- Post Merged, Feb 15, 2016 ---
    Incoming calls still make my phone vibrate on silent even when I'm wearing the watch. Vice versa : incoming calls on the phone make the watch vibrate as well even when I'm not wearing it.

Cheers !

13. Cibike macrumors member

Cibike

my iphone is silent and no vibrations... also my watch are silent, just taptic engine is on

14. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Ah.. forgot about phone rings.

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

16. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

Since I started wearing the Watch, my phone is set to not make any sounds or vibrations at all.

17. Smurphy Gherkin macrumors regular

Like everyone, on silent all the time and taptic only for the win.

When my Watch was being repaired at Apple for two weeks I had to go back to a noisy phone. Like an animal.

It seriously makes my wife's phone feel like something from 1982, dinging away and shattering the still silence of the happy home.

18. AronDraws macrumors regular

AronDraws

I've been wondering about this-- I noticed Im not getting text notifications on my phone anymore but Im not seeing them on the watch either. I keep missing my boyfriend's texts :/

I don't mind there being a visual cue on the phone AND the watch.

19. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

YES!

I got my Apple Watch in mid-July, switched everything to silent by Day 2 or 3. Never looked back. Silent taptic notifications were actually the primary reason I bought the Apple Watch. I just wanted to leave things on the default for a couple of days before switching. I found the sounds made by the AW were subtle enough that only I usually noticed them, but in a quiet room others would notice as well. The taptics were enough on their own for me. Yes there are times when I don't notice the haptics, but within a short time I will see the red dot. Before the Apple Watch I could go much longer without realizing I had a notification.

Every now and then I will enable sounds and forget to disable them later. My iPhone will actually make noise and it startles me! :p

Overall I find taptics to be more discreet and less stressful than audible notifications. I enjoy having a totally quiet watch and phone when it comes to notifications.

Sean

PS: I realize that in quiet situations you can hear the vibrations of the taptic engine (seems like on some watches more than others) but on mine it has never been loud enough that someone else would notice... even in a quiet room.

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It doesn't vibrate when not in use anyway, but I still keep my iPhone on vibrate in case I take the watch off when doing yard work, etc.

21. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

That sounds really beautiful....... makes me consider the Watch a bit more, but still that price tag. Just can't justify it with my budget. :p

22. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Wait for when Apple Watch 2 arrives then grab the first generation cheap. :D

23. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Count me in for dead silent, no more vibration.

I had forgotten how annoying the phone's vibrations were until I turned them back on and got a simple text when I wasn't wearing my AW and the phone was on the table. "BZZT BZZT BZZT!" Damn. I flipped the switch back to audible mode because I'd rather hear the Start Trek TNG badge sound I downloaded. ;)

24. danmart macrumors 6502

danmart

Mine is not on silent because I like things like the keyboard clicks and you don't get those when the phone is in silent mode. When the watch is connected pretty much the only sound you get is the ring tone, so I created a custom, silent ringtone for the phone using GarageBand. No sound, no vibration but I can keep the 'useful' sounds.