With Broadwell Getting Delayed I Can't Decide What To Do

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vish26, Aug 22, 2014.

1. vish26 macrumors regular

Hi Everyone,

I am caught in serious dilemma and I am looking at you guys to help me take a decision or atleast decide my next course of action on this. I have a plan to buy the rMBP 15 inch on my mind. This is gonna be my first ever rMBP in my life I have never owned an Apple Laptop ever in my life. Having said that I already have a Windows Machine which kind of suffice my computing needs for the moment. But I still am planning to buy a Mac because well yeah ! A Mac is a Mac after all…

The kind of user I am, basic computing needs, surfing, occasional Gaming (Not Hardcore, but occasionally I do like to play some of the very recent Games) some light Photo editing stuff, etc…So I am looking at a Mac Laptop to do all of these my above needs and also if required should be capable to very smoothly run any of the DJ Software’s that are available currently in the Market like Traktor & Ableton.

First I was thinking to buy the DGPU Mac, but since if I go for the the rMBP now I would atleast use it for a minimum of 4-5 years. And since DGPU machine seem to fail lot with the amount of heat it generates causing a threat for the Graphic Card or the Motherboard to fail (Happened with my earlier windows machine) I am not saying it always fails, but don’t wanna take a chance if I am one of those unfortunate Apple Customers and perhaps not sure if I need it in the first place, so why do I need to spend such moolah. So I wanna reduce the risk of a Graphic Card Failure and a Motherboard failure by not going for the DGPU machine. And I wanna make it as future proof as possible. I know with technology which virtually changes every 6 months, it is difficult to keep pace with it. But nevertheless since I don’t wanna go with a DGPU machine atleast the Integrated Graphics Card Machine that I go for should be pretty good capable of handling some of the even high end stuff ( I know for that I need a DGPU machine, but I am not saying I will use all the time some Video Editing stuff or some 3D Modelling stuff in it) But occasionally I will use something or other that may require a little Powerful Graphics card ( now that does not mean it would require a Dedicated Graphic Card) so based on all these I had decided that, I would atleast buy a Integrated Graphics card machine which is very recent and is quite capable itself. With the last upgrade that Apple made by including the IRIS PRO Graphic Card, this card took the Integrated Graphic Card performance to a new level, there have been some pretty good feedback on how this Card is performing so even now it is capable of doing quite a few stuff mostly anything that you throw at it. But since I wanna future proof my machine, I was waiting for the Broadwell chip to be included in the rMBP and then take the plunge, but with the Broadwell Release date on quite regular basis going on delaying, it is becoming quite irritating and frustrating. I am not in any Real hurry to buy the rMBP right away so I can wait for some time, but that does not mean that wait can be mid of 2015 if the Broadwell is going to release then, that is like waiting close to a year that is ridiculous !

So basically what I also want to know is, is Broadwell going to be doing something magical something extra and more that right now the Iris Pro Graphic Card cannot do ? is it worth waiting for the Broadwell Inclusion in the rMBP, standing here now ? what is it that Braodwell will be able to do which right now iris Pro cannot do ?

I am in India and there is right now a very interesting student's discount offer which is going on which will give me a good $400 discount on the Non-DGPU Machine which has a Iris Pro integrated Graphics Card in it. So I can avail of that offer aswell and this discount period only comes for 2-3 months in a year from July to September so If I miss it this time I might have to wait till next year to avail this offer. I want you guys to help me decide should I wait ? since I don’t need a machine very urgently, should I wait for the Broadwell Upgrade and then buy it. But the problem is, no one really knows when that will see the light of the day. But I believe everyone on the Internet seems to be suggesting that with the Broadwell entry the need of DGPU will become obsolete, it will vanish, which is a very good thing. so what should I do ? Any suggestions guys ?

Thanks in Advance !

2. Cibike macrumors member

Cibike

I will wait for the next-gen cpu architecture if there is no urgent need for a new laptop right now, also the price of SSD storage will go down, the speed and capacity will go up, maybe they include some refreshed I/O and all that kind of stuff. But every good side has also a dark side, so don't forget that with new architecture usually comes new problems (not just those related to manufacturing process) and after long waiting you can find out, that if you have new machine a year ago, you will be able to do much more and also much better work (and that's why you want a new laptop).

3. Tourgott macrumors member

You could wait for Broadwell and then you could wait for Skylake and then you could wait for ...

Buy when you really want or need it. The rMBP is just upgraded so it's the perfect time. Especially if it's your first MBP you'll be blown away no matter if it's the newest or even the 2013.

4. vish26 thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't understand when you said with new architecture comes new set of problems, are you saying if Apple did come out with the new rMBP with Broadwell in it, It would have some unknown, unexplored unidentified problems which could only pop up over a period of time which can eventually only be tackled after the new architecture machines have passed through a certain lifecycle of testing and stabilization and the subsequent software updates. So are you saying it would be unwise to buy a rMBP even with a Broadwell chip in it immediately after their release, just to find out how are they performing and then take the plunge ? is that what you are suggesting ?

----------

I want it now, But I don't need it now. That is the difference right now. :) I would be creating a need going out of the way frankly when it is not there actually. Broadwell is going to make the current IRIS PRO rMBP more powerful just like a beast eliminating the need of a DGPU for most average users. Hence it is alluring.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Broadwell is basically a die shrink with a better GPU. If you want a laptop now, get one. The worst thing that will happen is you sell it and buy a Broadwell MBP when they finally arrive.

6. vish26 thread starter macrumors regular

So it means indeed, Broadwell will have a better Integrated Graphics Card and it will set a new standard for IGPU Performance isn't it ?

Well that is not a very good idea, In India the Resale Value of a Product (So what even if it is Apple, depreciates at a Rate of more than 60%-70% annualy) for a machine I would be spending close to around $2000 would not even fetch me $600 If I try to resale it after a year, I mean I would struggle to get even that Much.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

All I'm saying is if you want the MBP now and don't want to wait until 2015 for a new MBP, buy now. If you don't then wait until Broadwell.

8. vish26 thread starter macrumors regular

lol ! That was always the case isn't it ? :D

9. augustya macrumors 68020

augustya

The way you should look at it is, if the Broadwell Based GPU will do what the current 750M DGPU does in the current top end model of the 15 Inch rMBP ?

10. vish26 thread starter macrumors regular

For a Normal Average user who is just into APPS, heavy web surfing, occasional Gaming, Movies etc...will he feel the difference between having a Iris pro current model and a Broadwell Machine?" Does it matter to him if it is Iris Pro or Broadwell or Skylake or whatever...:rolleyes: Has it already reached a level where an average user will not even explore half potential of what already Iris Pro is capable of...So "In everyday use will one, notice any difference" can you guys say anything about this ? If in normal use would it make any difference if it is Iris Pro or Broadwell ? Will the average user anyways notice any difference ? so is it worth waiting for Broadwell, if the average user is not going to notice any difference between Iris Pro and Broadwell !! :rolleyes:

11. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Honestly, the NEXT laptop will always be better. Life is short, just get one now and enjoy your computer using experience for the next few years. You won't be disappointed at all in your purchase.

If 2015 or 2017 comes around and you feel the need to upgrade again, do it and sell your current model. It will retain its value really well.

If you're worried about overheating, consider getting Apple Care. Right now I'm not having any issues with my late 2013 rMBP, but it came in real handy for my earlier 2011 MBP when I needed to replace the entire logic board.

12. vish26 thread starter macrumors regular

And that is why I am a little eager to get it, though I don't need it. It will be a luxury for me ! But Frankly yet no one has answered my question. :confused:

For an average user does it really matter if it is a Haswell or a Broadwell ? Broadwell, Most likely it will have a better GPU and Better Battery is what people are saying. With better GPU I don't know how much better GPU an average user needs? And the current rMBP is like giving 9 Hours of Battery Backup which no other Laptop in the world gives, so I am just wondering how much more can it get. Retina Display has its own Power Consumption requirement. So it cannot get like a 12 Hour Batter can it ? Hence how does it matter if it is Haswell or Broadwell ? :rolleyes:

13. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

No. If you need one now, buy it now.

After Broadwell there's Skylake and after that the next big thing. Pick a point after a product refresh and click buy.

14. konradsa macrumors regular

This. I just bought a 2014 refresh one, and I love it. You don't know how much Broadwell is delayed by, what the availability will be, and what features it will bring. And with the educational discount available right now (if you are or know a student), it's a great time to buy.

15. prymitywista macrumors member

prymitywista

I've got 2014 model (13") and it's perfectly fine - and with broadwell you won't turn back from candy yosemite anymore, now you've got change to stay with maverick ;)))

16. augustya macrumors 68020

augustya

And the other point also to consider is since Intel is already late according to their own time table on the release of Broadwell, There is no Guarantee how thoroughly it would have been tested and passed the quality checks, and how efficiently will they work because of the hasty production release to meet the delivery time lines and hence no point in waiting and getting in to a product which is more of a Hush-Hush job then any quality product !

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think that will be an issue, quite the opposite, given the long delay, Intel is going to be really really sure that this chipset is solid. I think they're taking their time now for his very reason. Its not getting rush as much as making sure they're doing it right (purely my opinion)

18. AnonDP macrumors member

I recently purchased a 2014 rMBP 15" base.
    IMO it's the perfect time to buy - take the following into account:

#1 - With Broadwell delay there are rumours that Skylake will not be delayed = Broadwell COULD have a short life.

#2 - Forget Broadwell for a second, would the current machine hinder your productivity/usage in anyway. Just because Broadwell is released in 6-9 months it doesnt affect the performance of Haswell.

#3 - Many wont even tell the difference between the two (if you are not a heavy user/gamer).

#4 - Buy now with your B2S promotion, save money, enjoy your machine

#5 - In the absolute worst case scenario if Broadwell ends up being the greatest thing since sliced cheese delicately composed on a rare top-side beef burger, then you will have flip the Haswell and pass it off as depreciation.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's been my concern, if they're not pushing Skylake back in response to Broadwell, then we're actually looking at a skylake roll out shortly after broadwell.

20. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

Don't buy it then.

21. AnonDP macrumors member

This is my fear.
    It could potenitally at this stage be - wait 6-9 months for Broadwell or wait a further 6-9 months for Skylake.

OP just buy now and keep off MacRumors and out of the Apple stores; ignorance is bliss, my fri.

22. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

No, for an average user, it will not matter. For an average user, you can buy a computer from 2009 and it will do all the things you need to do.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Definitely, my kids are using a 2010 laptop, my wife and other daughter use a 2009 era Mac Mini.

I think for typical apps, i.e., facebook, surfing, email, office apps. There's no reason to delay the purchase.

24. konradsa macrumors regular

Yes, because we all buy only things we need, when we need them. :D

25. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Just buy the ****ing laptop now and quit waiting. For what you do there is no point in waiting and there will always be something better around the corner.