With discreet graphics or without??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by burak.82, May 29, 2014.

1. burak.82 macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone,

I been a PC user since i started to use computers. Because of its sleek design, configuration and portability, i decided to go for a macbook pro. I can call myself a content creator, i use Photoshop and Indesign everyday at work plus i am a photographer in my free times where i do alot of intensive photo retouchings. I dont play games, no time. Later i would like to learn 3D modelling and so on.

Will the base 15" version be enough for these purposes? Or i should stay with the discreet graphics model?

And one more question, i am from EU however a friend of mine will visit NYC so i asked him to buy me one from an Apple store, now if the price is 2600$ on apple.com/store, in the actual store will it be the same price or tax will be added?

And can he get a tax free invoice while purchasing? how much will it be deducted from last the price?

thanks in advance

burak

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

If you primarily use CS6 or CC software, quite a number of them are OpenCL-optimized. OpenCL-optimized software perform faster on the Iris Pro than on the 750M.

If you're going to work with a lot of layers, I suggest a 16GB RAM upgrade. For the sake of simplicity and convenience of not having to carry an external drive around, I also suggest a 512GB SSD upgrade.

If you intend to do some gaming as well or use CUDA-accelerated software, the 750M variant is the way to go.

I'd suggest a 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD and 2GB 750M model for your needs. However, if you think you're fine without the extra power from the dGPU, then the base model should do you fine.

Keep in mind that when doing tasks, the Iris Pro-only model may tend to run hotter than the model with 750M as all the work is consolidated into one chip (CPU and Iris Pro are in the same chip), while in the dGPU mode, tasks are spread across two chips instead.

4. leman macrumors 604

If you are not playing games, the Iris Pro will be sufficient. The 750m might have a slight edge in some scenarios (especially when heavy editing of 4k images is involved), but it's most definitively not necessary.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given that you stated PS which does leverage the GPU, indesign and 3d modeling, all of which are graphically intense. I'd go with the dGPU over the iGPU. The Iris Pro is a great GPU but I think you're pushing the limits and need something with more horse power.

6. Plerf macrumors newbie

Having just got burned on a faulty nVidia 650M necessitating a new logic board*, and having read around the internet about similar experiences, my next MBP will have integrated graphics.

* - Out of warranty, but got a new logic board as part of Apple's one-price repair service for a lot less than the full cost of a logic board.

7. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

NVIDIA has gimped its consumer-grade GPUs for professional applications since the GeForce 6-Series because they want those folks to be in their more expensive Quadro products. Unless the OP is using CUDA-specific software, the 750M will perform worse than an Iris Pro, especially in OpenCL, which is what Adobe where Adobe is going with its products.