With every computer reboot iTunes forgets my iPod Touch

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by khunsanook, May 10, 2010.

1. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

Hi all,

I just bought a new MacBook Pro and used Migration Assistant to move my old MacBook files to the new machine.

Ever since the file migration, my brand new iPod Touch is having a lot of problems connecting to iTunes. Here's the deal:

When connected by USB to the new MBP, the iPod charges fine, but is not recognized by iTunes (does not show up at all). After mucking around a bit (unplugging/plugging in, deleting iTunes plists, and repairing disk permissions) I decided to reinstall iTunes. I followed Apple's directions to completely remove iTunes and after reinstalling iTunes the iPod was detected and all was working great again...until I shut down and restarted my computer and the iPod was no longer recognized.

I proceeded to uninstall/reinstall iTunes again. It worked!...until I restarted my computer and iTunes would not recognize the iPod again. ugh!

Interestingly, each time that I followed Apple's directions to completely remove iTunes, I could not find iTunesHelper running in either Activity Monitor or present in the start-up items of System Preferences as the Apple KB suggested it should be.

I should also mention that the new iPod Touch has no problems being detected by iTunes on my old MacBook (the source hard drive for the file migration).

This is baffling to say the least. I'm getting ready to forget Migration Assistant, nuke my new MBP's user account and start from scratch.
    Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. Andrew1011 macrumors newbie

I had the same problem with my Iphone after Migrating my Macbook Pro to my Imac

I Migrated my Macbook Pro to my Imac and had exactly the same problem

I followed all the instructions and noticed the same observations.

Everything worked until I rebooted my Imac and then Itunes no longer detected my Iphone.

Every time I reboot now I have to reinstall my Itunes to enable my phone to be detected.

When I google this problem I noticed that this problem is not uncommon and seems to have been going on for some considerable period of time

Come on Apple can't you fix this problem properly so that it does not occur in the first place.

3. iCOD11 macrumors newbie

I recently have also purchased a new MacBook Pro and have had the same problem. While I haven't been able to solve the problem, I would say that the next best thing to do is put you MBP on sleep-mode instead of just shutting it off. Doing this won't cause the error.