with every single update my phone gets stuck in restore mode

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by musefreek, Nov 23, 2010.

1. musefreek macrumors member

anyone else experience the same?

first time round with the update to 4.1 my phone got stuck with the install of the update and gave me error 1004. i had to take my phone to apple and got a replacement.

same thing happened with the 4.2 update and this time i got error 1013. i did some research and got it fixed by opening terminal and amending a line of text in the host file.

so this is quite obviously going to happen again with the next update and i'm wondering whether there isn't something on my macbook which causes this problem. if anyone's got advice that'll be appreciated.

2. musefreek thread starter macrumors member

just a further note, i have never jailbroken my phone as this seems to be an issue with error codes 1004 and 1013...

3. musefreek thread starter macrumors member

another note!

with my first phone i tried using Tiny Umbrella to kick my phone out of recovery mode (unsuccessfully so).

it seems like the program modified some files, something to do with baseband, so i reckon this is what is causing the problem with all the updates.

is there a way i can remove absolutely all Tiny Umbrella files so it won't affect updates in future?

4. marckmaching macrumors newbie

marckmaching

Ok friend this problem is normal!!! Follow this....

For many of you who have iPhone 4′s and tried to update to iOS 4.2.1, you may encounter Error 1013 on iTunes. This seems to be a widespread issue and widely discussed on Apple’s forum. Fear not, there is already a way to fix this Error 1013.

Due to the rush of releasing this iOS version, a bug like this is bound to come out. This has been reported to Apple but if you don’t intend to wait any longer, please see the following for the instructions. Methods on Fixing the Error 1013 are available for Mac and PC.

Mac OS X

1. On your Mac, go to “Applications” folder.

2. Go to the “Utilities” folder.

3. Start “Terminal”.

4. Type “sudo nano /etc/hosts” (without quotes) and hit enter.

5. Enter your login password

6. Use the down arrow key to find “gs.apple.com”. Add “#” in front of the text e.g. #gs.apple.com

7. Save the file by hitting CONTROL+O.

8. Exit the nano editor.

9. Restore your iPhone.

Windows

1. Go to Start > Programs > Accessories

2. Run Notepad. Note: on Windows 7, right click on Notepad icon and select “Run As Administrator”

3. Click File > Open

4. Go to Windows/System32/drivers/etc

5. In “files of type:” select all documents

6. Open “hosts”

7. Delete any entry with “gs.apple.com”

8. Click Save

9. Restore your iPhone

Good luck!!!

5. marckmaching macrumors newbie

marckmaching

And rememver....

The Tintumbrella not help in error 1013. So not use with this problem.

Follow the instruction. And go to recovery you iPhone 4 :apple::apple::apple:

6. marckmaching macrumors newbie

marckmaching

And remember my friend....

7. marckmaching macrumors newbie

marckmaching

And remember....

Tinyumbrella is good in error 1004. In this error is good program. :)