With everything in the cloud, is the base model RAM enough?

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
I use iCloud for photos and storage, Dropbox/OneDrive/Google for extra storage, Apple Music for streaming, and iTunes/Netflix to stream all of my movies so I really have no need for extra storage, 128GB will suit me just fine. My main concern is the 8GB of RAM. Considering I do most of my content consumption on an iPad, will 8GB be smooth for things like Safari and having a few apps in the background like Apple Music and iTunes? And possibly some light old school gaming like Counter-Strike?

It has been years since I owned a computer and I remember even when I bought my first MacBook Air back in 2011, the 4GB of RAM that was included was "standard" but still felt low at the time. Eight years later, obviously an increase to the RAM was expected, but does 8GB still feel enough as the standard?

Valdna

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2017
I use iCloud for photos and storage, Dropbox/OneDrive/Google for extra storage, Apple Music for streaming, and iTunes/Netflix to stream all of my movies so I really have no need for extra storage, 128GB will suit me just fine. My main concern is the 8GB of RAM. Considering I do most of my content consumption on an iPad, will 8GB be smooth for things like Safari and having a few apps in the background like Apple Music and iTunes? And possibly some light old school gaming like Counter-Strike?

It has been years since I owned a computer and I remember even when I bought my first MacBook Air back in 2011, the 4GB of RAM that was included was "standard" but still felt low at the time. Eight years later, obviously an increase to the RAM was expected, but does 8GB still feel enough as the standard?

Counter strike: Source definitely. Not so sure about the Global Offensive.
8GB ram is enough for both of them tho.. Better question is how does the graphics chip handle the GO version.. Should try it... :D

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Did you mean RAM or storage?
RAM. I was just illustrating that I want the base model but perfectly fine with 128GB of storage so now I am deciding between 8GB and spending $200 for 16GB.

Edit - Fixed typo.

Last edited:

leman

macrumors G3
Oct 14, 2008
Yes, 8GB is more then enough for light office and home use you describe.

lambertjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2012
Forget the cloud. Just get a Samsung T5 portable SSD. 500GB for about $80, sometimes cheaper when on sale. I have one hooked up to my 2018 base Air and life is great! All my files are in MY possession and not out on some data farm in BFE. I keep virtually nothing on my Air except whatever job I'm working on at the time.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-T5-Portable-SSD-MU-PA500B/dp/B073GZBT36?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-exp-e-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B073GZBT36