With iPhone 6 less than 1/2 year away, iPhone 5 plus cash or iPhone 5s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dmk1974, Apr 19, 2014.

  1. dmk1974 macrumors 68020


    Sep 16, 2008
    With my recent switch from AT&T to T-Mobile, I have been able to unlock a couple of our iPhones and buy a couple of extra unlocked iPhone 5 units (all very clean and still with warranty) off CraigsList for good prices.

    I am considering "downgrading" from my iPhone 5s to one of the iPhone 5 units for the next X months until the iPhone 6 comes out (whichever flavor, I plan on buying one). Since I'm on T-Mobile, the iPhone 6 will likely cost me in the $700 ballpark (depending on the flavor and capacity I get).

    From scanning CL and ebay, it looks like I can get a net of around $550-$600 for my current iPhone 5s 32gb (which is permanently unlocked). I just bought an unlocked 32gb iPhone 5 for $280 which is mint and still under warranty for a few months.

    Bottom line, should I "downgrade" from the 5s to the 5 and have an extra ~$300 in my pocket for when I plan to upgrade to the iPhone 6? I don't play games on he iPhone and rendering an iMovie is extremely rare so aside from dropping from the A7 to A6, the slightly better camera and flash, and fingerprint scanner, is there anything else that I'd be sacrificing for the ~$300? Thanks!
  2. Plutonius macrumors 604


    Feb 22, 2003
    New Hampshire
    I would keep the 5s. Many people like the 4" display and will be looking to buy a 5s after seeing the 4.7" iPhone 6.
  3. sixrom macrumors 6502a

    Nov 13, 2013
    Your idea is fine, go with an iP5, keep the extra cash for your future purchase. Across the web today are articles suggesting a $100 increase in the price of an iPhone 6. Therefore I've decided I'm selling my 5S this week, I'll end up being able to get a better price than if I wait. Once the new model is announced used prices collapse somewhat. I've got other phones to use, so dumping my iPhone now is perfect.
  4. shawndc1 macrumors regular

    Feb 12, 2014
    use the iphone5 & sell the other..good idea this way u really dont come out of pocket for the iphone6 down payment (if u pay monthly) , or if u buy flat out youre still getting about 45% discount lol
  5. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68020


    Sep 16, 2008
    Well, I did the backup and restore via iTunes to migrate over from the 5s to the 5. So far, for my use, seems about the same speed-wise.
  6. Furifo macrumors 6502

    Jun 1, 2010
    Seeing as you're going to be getting the 6 anyway, and considering the 5 still has a few months of warranty left, I vote for the 5 + extra cash.
  7. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68020


    Sep 16, 2008
    Well, I sold the iPhone 5s on ebay. After the ridiculous fees, still netted $585 so I'm content. Just bank it and await the iPhone 6! :)

Share This Page