With Lion Coming In June Why Not Wait For the Rev 2 MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by gostan, Oct 25, 2010.

  1. gostan macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2002
    Location:
    West of Boston
    #1
    I have always been on the wagon of purchasing Apple Computers immediately when released and of not being overly concerned about the fact that there will be a newer better version around the corner in one year or that the Rev 2 version always fixes the minor deficiencies of any newly released products.

    But I think that the fact that the fact that the major headliner of last weeks Back To Mac event was that Lion will be releasing this summer, causes me to wonder if many current Mac owners would be better off to wait for what I am sure will be upgraded rev 2 versions of the MBA that will likely be better suited to run Lion and will have fixes for any deficiencies/defects in the just released MBA's.

    I know, that to wait for many will mean giving up 8 months of using these two new creations, but for the many here who already have one or even two or three Mac Laptops (& and IPad), this may be the best way to go. Then, of course, there is no decision to make now about choosing 2GB or 4 GB of Ram, or an 11 or 13 inch screen, etc.;)

    Right now, I am thinking that this type of patience may, for the first time in my 20 years of using Apple products, be the best choice.:apple:

    Stan
     
  2. inf macrumors 6502

    inf

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2006
    Location:
    Helsinki, Finland
    #2
    That's a problem with computers. If you hop on to the Waiting band wagon, you'll be riding it all the time.

    The new Air will definetely run Lion very well.
     
  3. gostan thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2002
    Location:
    West of Boston
    #3
    I am confident that your response will be duplicated by many here on this forum. And, I have little doubt that the new MBA will be able to run Lion.
     
  4. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

    Adidas Addict

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2008
    Location:
    England
    #4
    LOL, its OCT 2010 and you're talking about JUNE 2011:D.

    There's nearly a whole year of use to be had before then.
     
  5. iKennett macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2007
  6. gostan thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2002
    Location:
    West of Boston
    #6
    November in 8 days;)
     
  7. fivenotrump macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2009
    Location:
    Central England
  8. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

    Adidas Addict

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2008
    Location:
    England
    #8
    Well if I feel strongly about any update next summer or later, I'll just sell my new one and upgrade. It's always cost efficient to upgrade frequently with apple gear as it always fetches decent money, especially when under 1yr old.
     
  9. OllyW Moderator

    OllyW

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2005
    Location:
    The Black Country, England
    #9
    Where do you get a June release date from?

    Steve said next Summer which means it could be as late as the end of September.
     
  10. gostan thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2002
    Location:
    West of Boston
    #10
    I know....I have been doing just that. The difference between the sale price in a year and the purchase price is usually worth the year of use. But, with the MBA, we all had better BTO with 4 GB ram in order to be sure.
     
  11. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

    Adidas Addict

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2008
    Location:
    England
    #11

    I have :D
     
  12. ImperialX macrumors 65816

    ImperialX

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2007
    Location:
    Tokyo, Japan
    #12
    Well, that's the same as saying you shouldn't buy an iPhone 4 because iPhone 5 is coming out in June 2011.

    Instead of seeing that the iPhone 4 only 4 month old, you see how it will be old in 8 months. Doesn't make sense...

    If you need a MBA, then buy it. If you don't need it, then wait.
     
  13. iEdd macrumors 68000

    iEdd

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2005
    Location:
    Australia
    #13
    And I thought I was bad enough at needing a computer to be hot off the press. It's not even a week old. It's good and new. Waiting makes no sense.

    My rule is if it's been out for more than a month or so it's worth waiting (even 6 months!) 'til the new model comes out. Otherwise, buy.
     
  14. MartiNZ macrumors 65816

    MartiNZ

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2008
    Location:
    Auckland, New Zealand
    #14
    I reckon a fair reason is because this MBA update took ~500 days to come through, and that would take us through to 2012 before the next, by which time we'll be talking about waiting for OS XI or whatever!

    I do think we'll see Lion for June though, release at WWDC has happened before hasn't it?
     
  15. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #15
    Well, click here
    [​IMG]

    And you'll see that updates to the MBA line are in excess of one year.

    [​IMG]

    the moral of the story, you start waiting for apple to fix/update the line, you'll be stuck in the vicious cycle of always waiting for the next best update. if the MBA fits your needs now, buy it, if it doesn't and you have an immediate need, find another laptop that does. If you can wait, then wait
     

Share This Page