With MOTO Maxx huge Battery what will Apple have or do?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davidlw, Jan 29, 2012.

1. davidlw macrumors 6502a

With the huge battery on the MOTO Maxx being released and getting large talk time numbers, is the upcoming iPhone going to be able to get all day talk etc. on 4g. How can Apple enlarge the battery without building a larger phone? 4G just sucks your battery. Just interested to see what happens. I am a iPhone 4S user.

2. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

Apple doesn't need to do a thing. I had an Android phone (Sharp SH-01D) with a battery of 1520 mAH, while the 4/4S had a battery of 1420 mAH.

I've been using my iPhone 4S for a week now, and it took me 4 days before it reached 15% and needed a charge. Took less than 2 hours to get to 100%.

With my Sharp-SH01D, the battery life lasted 2 days until it needed a charge and it takes 4 - 5 hours to fully charge that thing.

Both were on minimal settings (bluetooth off, wifi off... etc) and both were charged through my Macbook Air via USB port.

If the MOTO Maxx claims big battery life, it's most likely just hype/marketing. I'll believe it when I see it.

3. shadrap macrumors 6502

Apple doesn't have to do anything. They have set the standard that everyone reaches for.

4. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

It will def have big battery life. You won't need to see it. Only the size of the battery. That bad boy is clocking in around 3300mah. So it's got at least twice as much capacity. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see it reach those numbers.

5. davidlw thread starter macrumors 6502a

I understand what you are saying but when iPhone goes 4G, the standard battery on the iPhone will be way underpowered for all day use I am afraid. Poor battery life on 4G is one of the largest complaints I see today. The Maxx with its 3300 milliamp battery is getting good reviews. Just hoping Apple has this really addressed when they release a 4G phone.

PS I have owned a 4G phone and had to buy the extended battery to make it thru the day.

6. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

THANK GOD Apple dosen't have this attitude or they'd be doomed!:eek:

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would be pretty surprised if Apple didn't bump up the size of the battery when the iPhone goes 4G.

8. PacificBeach macrumors regular

It will be interestin how appl responds the Galaxy Nexus and Razr Maxx are awesome devices! Apple may even skip LTE this year due to battery life , who knows.
    I dont care anymore, i am enjoying so icecream sandwich right now. ICS is much better than ios5 and i am a hardcore apple guy. I just got tired of the same ole ios design year after.
    ios 5 really doesnt look different than ios2.0 and i have issues with that

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You see that today, but there are 4G chipsets on the horizon that promise lower power consumption. Likely this is a main reason why Apple didn't go with 4G in the 4S: they're waiting for lower-power chipsets.

The same thing was true of 3G when it first came out. I remember my first 3G cell phone: the standard battery was woefully inadequate and it would die out in a couple of hours. The bigger extended battery was an absolute must, until later handsets came out with more power efficient chipsets.

So chances are, there will be a slightly bigger battery, and the rest will offset by a newer RF section with lower power requirements.

10. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I don't think you've been "using" your phone at all.

11. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

With all due respect apple hasn't had to deal with LTE issues and battery drain yet, so the standard has yet to be set in that respect. They finally attempted to catch up on the hardware front and there's a couple hundred post thread about people bitching about battery life. They haven't even touched entering into the big screen realm yet. Let's not jump the gun.

12. Hastings101, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012

Hastings101 macrumors 68010

Hastings101

Apple's software optimizations on top of a battery like that would be amazing. Even as a heavy user you'd only have to charge every two or three days. Don't think it would fit in the current iPhone form factor though.

13. tryst3 macrumors newbie

Are there any Android devices that are full featured? i.e. The Galaxy Nexus doesn't have NFC and the Razr Maxx can't run ICS...

14. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

The GSM nexus has NFC FYI

15. tritonj macrumors 6502a

it is simple, apple won't put 4g in until it can meet both the aesthetic and usability standards for an iphone experience. (at least that is how Jobs use to do it, and it is also what made apple the brand that it is) there was no compromising, it remains to be seen what the new apple will do with Jobs gone, but they would be wise keep that standard, otherwise they take away the great differentiator they had to other tech companies.

16. stooley macrumors regular

Both versions of the Nexus have NFC...I use it on my VZW all the time with Google Wallet.

The Maxx will get an update to ICS...a version for the GSM Razr has already leaked.

17. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

You're upset because iOS hasn't changed much? Kind of strange coming from a self proclaimed 'hardcore apple guy' when, on the face, OS X doesn't look any different now than when it was released 11 years ago.

As for LTE and Apple, it's simple. Based on Apple's previous track record, they'll either wait until new, lower power consumption chips are available or wait until better batteries are designed. If neither (or the perfect blend of both of them) happens, they'll continue to do without LTE.

18. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

With OSX, the user was always free to change things as deemed necessary. With iOS, sans jailbreak, all you can do is throw icons in folders and move them around a grid.

19. tryst3 macrumors newbie

My b, it was Google Wallet with respect to NFC tech, and it was only at first b/c of Verizon apparently.

20. cynics macrumors G3

I agree LTE chipsets are very power hungry. Apple won't use it until they or someone else comes out with a lower power consumption chipset. I don't blame them for this. If you deem the tech not up to par then don't use it.

21. PacificBeach macrumors regular

http://www.google.com/nexus/#/tech-specs
    My GNex has a NFC and A BAROMETER :)

22. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Apple already has their answer to the tiny RAZR MAXX.

Apple IPHONE MAX, good for three months on a charge.

big phone.jpg

23. cynics macrumors G3

Gn has NFC and people are using it ( just download googlewallet.apk)

And the razr maxx is very high on googles official ics update list. Motorola likes to work most the bugs out ie they will be awhile lol.

24. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If the next iPhone is larger in size, which all rumors are pointing toward, then there will be room for a larger battery. If you have used an iPad, you understand how Apple can use extra room to make a better battery.

25. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I think their days of sitting on their hands (4S) are over. If they don't step up to the place this year, the honeymoon will be over for them.

Exactly what I thought. I can leave my phone sit on the desk and get 4 days out of it too.

True words my friend. Apple has been riding the wave from 2007 and it's about to hit shore.