With new OS upgrade will reception be better

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davidlw, Dec 1, 2008.

1. davidlw macrumors 6502a

With the new OS upgrade, will the reception be any better.My iPhone does not get very good reception in my home and was wondering if the new version of the OS will my iPhone get better reception? Need a answer ASAP, decision rest on the answers.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

What OS Upgrade? 2.2? There's plenty of reasons to do it even if it doesn't help reception.

3. davidlw thread starter macrumors 6502a

Better radio is badly needed for reception. I run a business and being able to talk on a phone is my lively hood. If my customers cannot hear me, no sales. So will the upgrade help the reception of the phone?

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I think if you have the 3G it updates the baseband. Actually, I know that for a fact. Not sure of the signal strength though.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

why not just do the upgrade and see?

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I thought apple was trigger shy of updating the baseband unless they absolutly had to because its the one thing that if gone wrong can truly brick an iphone.

7. davidlw thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am going to update the phone tonight. I just thought that someone may know if it will help.

8. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Probably are. but I know that in 2.2 for the 3G only it updates the baseband. In the Original iPhone, it doesn't. Thats why the dev team warned against updating to 2.2 if you want to unlock.

9. synagence macrumors 6502a

Well .... in my crappy location at work with 2.0 or below firmware i got maybe a 1 bar 3G but mostly GPRS signal only ...

On 2.1 i got a 2 bar 3G signal .... with 2.2 i get 4 bar 3G and its a stable connection so i guess they've made the baseband more efficient

I've had to reset my phone a few times with 2.2 so its not all good but generally an improvement.

10. davidlw thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I did update to 2.2 and it seems to be doing pretty good so far. I am able to talk on the phone in the office better than before so I guess that it is a good update. Thanks for your responses.